Metal plate underneath Quarterpound Ppup?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pöl, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Hi all,
    I've been a reader on this forum for a long time, and a lot of my questions have been answered here, but now I have a question of my own.

I just got the newsletter in which is discribed that putting a metal plate underneath your P-bass' pickups gives it the extra 'bite'.
    My question is:

Does this plate sound good when combined with a Basslines Quarterpound pup or will the bass sound better without the plate?

I like my sound now, but I can't seem to get the snapping highs I want...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think it's dubious if the sound is improved. You can't really tell without measurements and I guess any perceived changes are results of "auto-suggestion".

[EDIT] The only thing a plate could change is the magnetic field, but this would depend on the plate's measurements and material. So using ANY plate will surely NOT give you the same results somebody else claims he got. Also not every change in the field will improve things, and even if so it probably won't be noticeable.
    The people who designed the pickup usually know what they're doing and did things with a purpose. Random modding is usually a waste of time.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Snapping highs on a P?

...nevermind. Maybe it was a non-magnetic metal and just raised the pickup height a bit -- have you tried adjusting that at all?