1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal/Rock bass playing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ruin Bass, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Ruin Bass

Ruin Bass

Mar 19, 2006
    DFW Area
    Alright, I have a BC Rich NJ Bass, it plays wonderfully, and its a crowd pleaser, however, on stage with heavy lights...its a shoulder killer, the weight is unbeleivable.

So now, I have come to a fork in a road. I have a few basses here listed that I would like some opinions on.

1) Ibanez EDB600: The bass is pretty cool, very very light cause of the luthite body. I had picked one up at GC in my town area and it was pretty cool, did not get the chance to play it.

2)Schecter: They have some beautiful looking guitars and some even more beautiful basses. I was looking into The Omen 4 or maybe the C-4 that they have. I know this bass is lighter then a BC, and the C-4 has some killer inlays on it.

3)Traben Phoenix 4: This is one handsome bass, especially the Flame Inlay and Inferno bridge type deal. However, I hear its a pretty heavy bass, maybe equal to my own.

Heres the deal, I am looking for something pretty, eye candy, with a good sound. I am a sucker for cool looking inlays and bodies, I can make anything sound how I want with my amp. I play in a groovy metal band, and I like to move on stage, but the BC is dragging me down. I do not wanna spend anymore then $500. Come on, I know some of you have opinions here.

Thanks for any help.

2. I have the c4 and I love it. Great sound, super fast neck, and it looks great. I also liked the schecter xxx and the omen. I also play an ibanez for my drop d stuff. I don't care what the hell people say. It is what you like and feels good for you. I was planning on spending at least 1000 on each guitar, but when trying them I did not even look at the price. I played em all and picked the two that gave me the sound I liked and what had a good feel to it. I got my c4 for around 470 at guitar center. I personally think they are a great guitar and are coming into their own.
    D

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Out od the three you mentioned I would go with the Schecter. They are great for the money and have a good usable tone.

BTW, which BCR NJ series bass do you have? I have three of them: Virgin, Mockingbird, and Innovator.

If you are playing a Beast I can understand. They are just freakin' heavy! However, BCR has a few that are not heavy like my Mockingbird and the newer Innovator and Eagle basses.

4. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    +1 C4! how about spector performance 4?

5. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I vote the Ibanez

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd go with the Schecter out of those choices.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Why not the ESP Tom Araya Signature bass?
    [​IMG]

8. His profile says that he plays a Warlock.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My mistake.

I'm so accustomed to newbs not filling in their profile I didn't even look. Kudos to the new guy!

Anyways...hmm, I never thought of the Warlock being that heavy.

10. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I have found that my schecter does best in a metal/rock setting. I have a stiletto deluxe 4 and it can get a real good growly tone. I vote for the schecter hands down.

11. Ruin Bass

Ruin Bass

Mar 19, 2006
    DFW Area
    I think the Tom Araya Sig is a bit much for my price range right now, but thanks for the help. And I also think the ESPs have some heavy bodies as well. For those who have played Schecters, are they pretty comfortable as well, performance wise? Like I said, I need something to move around with and not keep me stationary. So far, I am leaning towards the Schecter, unless someone else have another opinion on a different brand.

However, another question. I hear about some of you 'modding' your basses, I understand the whole modding thing, however, say I did buy a Schecter, is it possible to replace a neck with a different? Like maybe a custom neck, as long as it fit the right dimensions? Or is that like a 'no, no?'

Thanks again.

12. steve21

steve21 Banned

Yeah it's doable if it fits the pocket, but why?

13. Ruin Bass

Ruin Bass

Mar 19, 2006
    DFW Area
    I have one odd and crazy mind when it comes to being an unorthodoxed player. *cough* And it might be cheaper then buying something completly custom. :-D But thats down the road, I was just checking to see if it was 'doable.' Thanks.

14. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
  15. Ruin Bass

Ruin Bass

Mar 19, 2006
    DFW Area
    Thats a very solid looking bass, but its arranged for Pick up only. :p Too bad though, that would have been a nice choice. And I am not exactly sure of the currency exchange rate from Aus and American currency.

Still leaning towards the Schecter.

16. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Well i cant do it because im in sydney but i know there are a few melbournites who frequent TB and i'm sure you could find someone who would do you a favour if you would ever return it. its bloody hard to get people to ship to aussie. as for exchange rate ATM its 1.84 aussie to 1 US which is like 285 US bucks but shipping would set you back a bit more. what ever man i have no experience with a schecter. just trying to help you out.

17. Although it ain't on your list, my vote goes to Spector. In my opinion, play hard with a pick and you have the ultimate Metal tone.:hyper:
    For an idea, listen to the later Pantera albums or Down II. I used to have a Korean through-neck NS2000/4, tuned to drop C, and it just killed everything else.:bassist:

18. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I feel your pain (bad Pun) w/ the BC Rich. I have an NJ Beast (heavier than the rest). My solution to the weight problem: 4 inch leather strap. makes it a LOT lighter.

other than that... I'd prolly go for a Traben or ESP (or for a little less if you could put up w/ it) a Wish :bag:

19. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    You should seriously consider the SDGR-range (..or SR) of Ibanez. They are very versatile, for rock and funk.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Rex used SSD NS-2's for the later Pantera stuff as well as his Rex Sig models. They're going to sound a bit different than the Korean models.