1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

metal screaming doesn't take talent

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS

Dominic DeCosa, MDBass and lokikallas like this.
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    FWIW, I am not among those who say that metal screaming doesn't take talent. I am among those who say that it is obnoxious and painful to listen to.

meteor, mike o, Flooflox and 14 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I am among those who think this thread cannot end well. That said, I do not entirely disagree with sentiments posted thus far. Rather than seeming intimidating, most "cookie monster" vocals make me laugh, not quite the intended effect.

rtav, Artman, mikeyjm2 and 8 others like this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK

Bobro, Flooflox, Artman and 2 others like this.
  5. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    So far, everyone in this thread is a judgemental arse.
    Including myself.
    But seriously, no-one asked if you like it or not.

But for the record, it's not something everyone can do.
    There is a way to do it correctly.
    It takes practice and discipline to do it night after night, for months and/or years.

6. Why?

Why start a thread just to bash something you don't enjoy but others do?

Pretty dumb.

Ubersheist, JES, palmann and 15 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    I'm like WTFITS when watching the video.

9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    For the record I’ve spent the last 2 decades playing in metal bands with guttural vox :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    JES, Rock Salad, jackn1202 and 2 others like this.
  10. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Sure, you do you.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The title of the thread seems obvious sarcasm, so I don't think anyone should take offense. I don't care for the vocal style myself when it is used continuously. IMHO, it can sound really awesome when used as an effect. The musical styles this type of vocals are associated with tends to be pretty impressive and has some really awesome technical riffs. But for some reason I find I lose interest fairly quickly with the repetitious patterns.

I don't totally understand why since a lot of the music I love is really repetitious. I can only guess that their is some subtle quality that other styles posses that is lacking. The riffs and sonic signature catch my ear and provide a few minutes of amusement, and then I am ready to move on.

No big deal. It's obviously a cool scene and my loss for not being able to truly understand or appreciate it. It obviously takes some serious natural talent to play or sing in the associated styles. Rock on :bassist:!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  12. I don’t care for the music. But - there is absolutely, unequivocally, a skill set that is needed to be able to perform that type of vocalisation for more than about 3 minutes. If you don’t believe me, try it. Again - I don’t care for it, it’s not my cup of tea, but I understand that there is a talent, skill, and dedidication to practice that is worthy of my respect.

Bobro, LowActionHero, oZZma and 4 others like this.
  13. I used to really dig it when Chuck Billy would get all down-low with the vocals on Disciples of the Watch.
    Later I heard more & more vocalists doing that for the entire album & lost interest.

jackn1202 likes this.
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    The best singers can do it all, like Corey Taylor, or Mike Patton. They can do death growls and croon.

Nevada Pete, MDBass and socialleper like this.
  15. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles

16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Probably for the humor.

Artman and spencer096 like this.
  17. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    If you actually watch the video, he makes the point that it does take talent
    Just like singing--some people do it well, some do not.

18. I love it.

19. Weberman

Weberman

Apr 8, 2014
    Nilbog, Ohio
    Jazz-screaming: now THAT takes talent!

zontar, Bobro, Artman and 3 others like this.
  20. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    For me it all depends on the band or singer.
    Billy Idol had ( maybe still does?), a killer scream, but it was used more as an effect.
    Even David Bowie could use scream as an amazing effect.
    I had a friend in school who dismissed Springsteen as nothing more than a graveling half screamer.
    I think guys like Davey Havok channelled it really well in some of AFI's music. Particularly there mid to later albums. Burton Bell from Fear Factory was the first guy i remember hearing, that did extreme screaming, only to then belt out arena sized clean notes all in the same verse.
    Bands that did nothing but scream or cookie monster singing didn't really hold my attention for a long period of time. More times than not, such bands had a song or two I really enjoyed but it got old fast.

Mr_Moo likes this.