1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal Sound - New cab/head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lucho1, May 24, 2011.

1. Lucho1

Lucho1 Banned

May 16, 2011
    Hi, I will buy a new cab and head, and I want a good metal sound (agressive), like Jason Newsted or Cliff Burton sound.
    What head do you recommend me ? (a cheap one).
    And... what cab do you recommend me ? I will use the amp for practice.

2. To me Jason and Cliff sounded miles apart. It would be difficult to make recommendations based on those references.

3. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    If you're planning to use this amp for practice does that mean you already have a gig rig?
    Mesa Carbide amps are popular for that genre, also you can't go wrong with Ampeg Pro heads though I'd stay clear of the Classic head.
    For a cabinet I'd go big. 6x10, 8x10, 2x15, or two 4x10's. Ampeg, Hartke, GK, and Mesa are heavy hitters.

4. Lucho1

Lucho1 Banned

May 16, 2011
    I dont have a gig rig, Ampeg and Mesa are very expensive here, in my country.

5. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    If you have Hartke amps in your country they are a good option and reasonably priced. I owned a HA2000 an a HA3500 and they were both solid amps for me. Older Peavey's are easy to find for a good price.
    Both Jason and Cliff have a BIG sound, so that's why I suggested a big cabinet. I would venture to guess that they both used tube heads, but you could still dial in a aggressive tone on a SS amp. Maybe add something like a Sansamp BDI or something similar to get some grit.

6. mjcantor

mjcantor

Jan 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, Curt Mangan Strings
    I second the Hartke opinion.

I have an HA5500 and run it through an XL810 and get it to sound MASSIVE when I run a BDDI in front of it and boost the mids on the amp's graphic EQ. A lot of heavy metal guys run Hartkes, including Dave Ellefson of Megadeth, Frank Bello of Anthrax, John DiServio of Black Label Society, and of course, one mister Billy Sheehan.

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Billy doesn't count :p

8. mjcantor

mjcantor

Jan 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, Curt Mangan Strings

:bag:

:p

Oh, and Eddie Jackson of Queensryche too...