Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ray, Sep 1, 2003.

1. ray

ray

Feb 2, 2000
    I have bought a bass that made in China. it is installed with a metal tailpiece (no woodern part at all, just like the popular cello tailpiece).

Would the metal tailpiece affect the sound quality? Should I change back to ebony tailpiece?

2. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    bump...

hate to see you not get a reply. I would answer, but I don't know...

3. We had a fairly lengthly discussion of tailpieces a few months ago. Try this:Tailpiece Discussion

4. ray

ray

Feb 2, 2000
    Thank you for replying me. I have read through the discussion forum, it emphazies very much on tailpiece wire but not the building material of the tailpiece.

But, How the building material of the tailpiece affect the tone quality? How long is the optimum tailpiece length?

5. I'm afraid you didn't read the discussion too throughly. In the latter parts the subject turned to the WEIGHT of the tailpiece. That is what you should be concerned with in this case. Metal tailpieces can weigh more than ebony or less. The material it is made of makes no difference.

6. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The material used in the tailpiece is very important. Historically, the woods of choice have been ebony and rosewood. Ray Brown was a proponent of very light tailpieces, typically rosewoods or lighter density woods. In my own experience, lighter wood tailpieces have made some remakable differences in a bass' tone and focus. Also, the tailpiece cord is very important when looking at the sonic characterists of an instrument. But there is no "ne plus ultra" wood as each basses response characteristic is unique to each instrument. But I do know that Jennifer Leitham uses the metal Thomastic tailpiece on her Paesold and it sounds great!

7. Mike, I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. The weight of a tp is naturally a function of the density of the material it is made from, but the particular species of wood makes no difference. If you want a heavy tp, you use a heavier density wood or metal or plastic or etc. To make a lighter tp you go the opposite way. The material used makes absolutely no difference!

8. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Bob, yours is the voice of clarity! Density (weight) is the key.