Metal teacher.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by ironmaidenisgod, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Hey Paul,

Really great site you've got here.It's certainly become my favourite site over the past month.

The only thing this site lacks is a good metal bass pro teacher.All the teachers here are great guys and really helpful (especially Michael Dimin),but I don't think anyone has a heavy-metal background.I just wish you could get a metal teacher to solve the queries of us metal-heads. :bassist: .Perhaps Steve Harris :) or Geezer Butler :) .

Seriously anyone would do.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

One of the common fallacies of seeking instruction is that the style you want to play has anything to do with it. All bass players play music, so instruction in music is what's really important. There's nothing new or different musically in heavy metal that hasn't existed before. Metal players use the same chords, scales and modes as everybody else.

Perhaps you could give an example of something that you feel a well versed instructor would NOT be able to help with unless they played metal.
  3. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    It's just that metal players use the diminished scales more than normal players.

Also we can get first hand experience from the pros of this genre.

Finally,I believe that only metal players know how to make themselves heard over the distortion pedals of the guitarists.

But,you do have a point,Brian.