Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Dec 20, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hi everybody..
    i just joined a metal/hard rock band and cant find a good tone with my bass. i have a spector with 2 band active EQ (bass+trebble) and two emg-hz pickups. what eq settings should i use to get a good clean tool-like tone. i lofe the sound of the bass in their songs, but cannot find it.

2. Well, alot of things give "metal tone" its certin sound. Such as what strings are you useing? Try useing Exliers. Other factor that plays an important role is your amp, contact me on icq. If you'd like and I can explain things further, or answer anyother questions you may have.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  4. try using with stanless steel strings and/or drop tunning a half/or whole step. IMO those are the best ways to put more percussion into your playing style making it "heavier." On eq however; lots of agressive low-mids or grining ear to ear smilie face eqs are great for meating up a basses normally bone based stock. Adding compression or mild overdrive to your input signal helps add punch and definition to fingerstyle.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    well i have some DR rouud wound...a crappy laney amp with low, 2 mid controls and treb. and a disto pedal i could use.

also, pick or no pick?

sorry for the newbie-ness but i haev never played metal so i have no clue. btw Tr3 i am downloading an ICQ client right now...

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

SansAmp Bass Driver DI. It isn't exactly a fuzzbox, but that's not what you want for the Tool sound. It will give you big, crisp tone.

IMO, either fingers or pick will work fine.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    How crappy is that amp? :) If it's a dinky practice amp, you'll never be satisfied, they're all midrange.

Justin plays a Wal, which has a fairly unique sound to itself.

I'd imagine that, with that bass, a good place to start would be both pickups on. Try a pick, but you can figure out which sounds better, pick or fingers, yourself. Also it's a very different playing experience. Don't know what the HZs sound like too much, but maybe roll up the treble a bit.

Almost all their songs use drop-D tuning, with the E tuned down a step to D. On the latest album he uses a .110 string there, but I think it was a .105 on Aenima.

You asked about his clean tone? Because he uses overdrive pretty frequently. Not really distortion though. I think for the clean parts he's got a little chorus on there.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    on aenema (the song) and schism.

my real dilemna is that i cant decide to get a bass amp or guitar amp with my christmas money. obvioulsy the bass amp sounds horrible with guitar, but my main instrument (priority) is bass so i cant reallly make a choice.

(i know youll tell me to get a bass amp though :D )

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK. Can't quite remember Aenema, but I can hear getting a pretty close approximation of Schism using the aforementioned SansAmp. They're pretty useful little guys, but not really cheap at $150 or so. Anyway, hope that helped and best of luck.

10. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    single coil (solo j bass p/u) sounds alot like that tool but the hz are humbuckers so i dont know if youll get his exact sond but you should be able to get close enough (personally i turn my eq knobs both up {bass +treble, dont have a mid control on the bass} then i set my amp at hig lows and treble with a sighty higher mid and i get a pretty great tone out of it, but i say play with every knob on your bass and amp untill you get it close enough or just like how it sounds if you cant get a new amp

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well the Wal has humbuckers. Granted, they are somewhat unique in design, but they are big stinkin' humbuckers.