Metal Trash

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Diabolic, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Diabolic

Aug 25, 2005
    ok I need some new idea for some bass lines I cant come up with anything I recently started to play with a band and they play a lot of trash metal, am more of a Maiden type of guy but I enjoy some metal like Death, King Diamond. So am open for any ideas for bass lines :hyper: ....
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    For most thrash doubling the guitar works 90% of the time, but be oppen to expirimenting with fills under open parts and let yourself stretch a bit during guitar solos, toss in some 5ths and 3rds to fill in the blank space left by the lead guitarist.

Also remember that 8ths under 16ths sound tighter than doubling at the same speed as the guitarist(s).
  3. Yeah, if you are struggling to keep up: Slow down!
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just headbang really wide with a huge wig and everyone will think you are really awesome.
  5. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    *** is trash metal :p

Like they said double the guitar lines, but add some flair to the lines.
  6. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah, *** is "Trash" Metal? Geez.

And Death and K. Diamond aren't THRASH Metal.

Wanna hear the coolest, most intense, Thrash album from the 80's? Try a band called Sacrifice (from Canada). Their 1st album - Torment In Fire - was just re-released by this label here:

You can buy it there. One of the greatest Metal bands I heard in the last 25 years!!!

I have to get the Andralls CDs from that label myself. Some new band from Brasil, I think. You can download some sample MP3s there or on the band's official site. Sounds like the freshest, most energetic, Thrash band I've heard in a long long looooooong time.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Here... some legal MP3s for download (full songs)... Sacrifice "Sacrifice" - download priority #1!
  7. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    LOL, that's hilarious..... but, unfortunately, true for some people. :D
  8. Diabolic

Aug 25, 2005
    i know King Diamond and Death ant trash am saying that i like that type of metal better... with all the solos that chuck or andy do within the songs
  9. I play in a Trash band, basically riff wise i try and follow to support and beef them up.

However as I wrirte quite alot of the material its quite bass orientated. So even thought the actual 'lines' (Verses riffs etc) arent anythin flashy there are always parts of the song which are. Usually a bridge or breakdown or underneath a solo or whatever.

So my advice, write your own songs! It allows ya more freedom than some wanky guitarist wantin to play a thousand solos!!

And also as has been posted above, just because the riff is galloping along at 2000 bpm doesnt mean you and the drummer have to. Cut time is possibly the most awsome thing ever when it comes to making a riff sound extra heavy. We use it all the time and its awsome!! :bassist:
  10. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Okie, dokie.

I'm a big Death and (early) Mercyful Fate fan myself.

I think for Thrash, you do want to mainly double the guitars, as others have said. It's kind of hard to shine in this environment. Try to put in some cool licks here and there, above the guitars and make sure you're heard in the mix.
  11. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I love Cliff Burton's thrashy playing with alot of fuzz and wah