1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metal washers on poles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Apr 11, 2006.

1. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    Im getting a 6 pole humbucker for my cheapo bass (I know what im doing) anyways...I had the theoy that maybe i could put a washer on the poles so the A and D strings will have contact with the poles...it seemed logical so i did a search for it and i kept looking and looking..then I finally found it..some guy did it to his 5 string...had anyone else tryed this yet?

and what was the results?

thanks

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    For my own enquiring mind since I am obviously missing what you would be trying to achieve by doing that?

What would doing that achieve?

3. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    since its a 6 pole pickup the strings wont be aligned with the poles...by placing a small washer ontop of the pole it should Compromise for the size of the pole and it should extend the magnetic range (by my theory) meaning that the A and the D strings should have a much more even tone than without

o o o o o o

V.s

o (o o)(o o) o

Thats a pretty lame and crude diagram but you should get the point

4. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    Anyone?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In numerous previous posts it's been stated with mostly concensus that string alignment with poles is not relevant - what matters is whether the strings are within the magnetic field. Perimeter strings are the issue - as a bend out of the magnetic field will result in volume drop for a marginal string. If pole string/alignment were an issue "internally", you'd get a volume drop on bends on internal strings.

The above has been my experience. Exceptions have been something screwy in the pup not string pole alignment. I can move pups anywhere I want and have schaller roller bridges on all my basses for lateral adjustment.

I have no idea myself what impact the washers would have but what would be of some interest would be if the washers on the perimeter poles actually extended the magnetic field so that a volume drop wouldn't occur on a marginal string.