1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

metal wrapping...

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by tbassist4, Oct 29, 2006.

1. I'm a pops rosin user in my own time, but my orchestra teacher purchased piastro rosin for the school bass, and so I use that with the school's bow. So this is probably a dumb question, but what am I suppose to do with the metal (aluminium?) wrapping? Am I suppose to peel it down, or gradually rip it off in a spiral down the chunk as I use more and more? Pops just has paper...lol

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    You can tear it, but I usually just use a sharp knife to cut/score it all around, exposing 1/4" or so on all sides. Then you can use it evenly all around the cake; repeat as needed.

3. I'm not sure about pirastro, but if it's the same as the Carlson I use, that foil may actually be some sort of lead. :meh: So wash your hands before you suck your thumb. Anyway, I just sort of fold/crimp it down as I go, or tear it off. Not very tidy, but hey.. It's just rosin.