1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

metal zone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by razorblade, May 28, 2011.

1. razorblade

razorblade

May 18, 2011
    I have a metal zone by boss distortion pedal for when I had a reg electric guitar,can I use it for my bass?I am a beginner so i don't know about these things.I just don't wanna mess up my amp,it's a axl b60,so it's not a small one nor a big one,it's in the middle I guess.

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I use it. It's not the best pedal for bass guitar, it seriously cut out the lows, but it has it's own sound and can be quite brutal. I have the high frequency about noon, the low maxed, the middle set to 200 hz maxed and the dist about 9 o clock.

3. It's an awful pedal for bass. Seriously, look elsewhere. It won't mess with your amp but it won't sound good either.

4. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    lightning bolt uses it, a million other bands use it. some people like it, some people hate it.i think it sounds to thin, harsh and lifeless on guitar but i like it on bass. i've also heard it sux low end. i've always wondered if it could be modded to do the opposite

5. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    It's a really decent pedal for guitar, but is sounds thin and harsh for bass, I don't think it would be bad for your amp though.

6. bosw04k

bosw04k

Aug 14, 2009
    I don't hate it, In metal I tend to not want too much bass as I'm playing fast, technical stuff on really low, slack strings, and I usually find it helps my tone cut through easier. It isn't the best pedal on the market by a long shot, but don't be discouraged from using it if you like it.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The boss metal zone can be usable on bass if you have an effects loop on your amp. it can also be usable on bass if you have either a blender pedal or a bass heavy rig. I have used a boss metal zone with one of the bands that I play in. the rig I use with this band is a kustom kb200-r bass head through an ampeg svt4x10 and I was able to create a killer sound that adds boost and grit to sound and did made me noticeable in the mix. here's my setting of the boss metal zone when I used it through the rig I was using.

Level: 11:00
    Lows: 3:00
    Highs: 10:00
    Middle: 11:00
    Mid. freq.: 1:00
    Dist.: 10:00

Not quite sure if this setting would help with the rig you're using for your bass, but give this setting a try. I'm gonna try duplicating the same sound with my digitech bp355(since it contains a distortion model based on the boss metal zone).

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I just picked one up Friday, I haven't played around with it too much, but so far, it's okay, I might like it better when I play around with the settings a bunch.

It jumped out at me because there is the option to cut or max out the highs, lows and mids, therefore more flexible in sound (in my logic).