Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hawkizzle, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    I was wondering which cab's and head's are best for metal music. I want low lows and and crisp notes. Im looking into 4X10's mainly.

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Any particular inspirations. Metal is very broad in terms of bass tone.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, pretty much anything can be. As long as you get the power you need, you like the tone of it, and it does everything you need, it's the best. As to what that amp/cab combination is well, that up to you and your ears.

The standard is Ampeg head and cabs and probably always will be.

I use Trace Elliot for metal, punk, and classic rock. Some like SWR, Eden, Hartke, G-K, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, Carvin, etc, etc...you get the idea. Then you can also get into the preamp/poweramp with which your options increase out of control.

The best thing I can suggest is look at the rigs of bass players that you like orlike their tone. Plus, read everything you can on them and then seek them out and try them.

BTW, good luck!

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I play hard rock and metal, and I'm currently using all Peavey - a 410TXF, and a bottom cab(Paradise Soundworks) with a 15" Black Widow - powered by a Mark VIII head - and it's working quite well, paired up with a couple of MIM P basses...

- georgestrings

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Obligitory Ampeg 8x10 post

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse cabinets. They work beautfully with Ampeg or Mesa heads. The low-mids bump of Mesa and Ampeg cabinets are very similar, but Mesa stuff is a little punchier and more hi fi- killer for metal tone.

7. Fully agreed. I've used Ampeg, Peavey and am just getting into GK. All of them suit my needs. Search some threads here, check out your favorite bassists and go see some live shows if you can (support your local bands). There's a lot of options available.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

I use a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and Powerhouse 4x10. I run it with a heavily moded SX Jazz. I really enjoy my tone; very easy setup to move too.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Whats the budget? What kind of sound do you want? Do you use distortion or any other FX? If so, where do you get the distortion from? A pedal or the amp?

10. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
  11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd recommend Ampeg or Gallien Krueger cabs. Both have treated me well in the genre.

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I've got...

two signals....

1 to a BMax/QSC channel 1>Avatar 212
    1 to Effects Pedals>Peavey tube(Sansamp, hopefully son)/QSC channel 2>Avatar 410

Great dedicated big, fat, warm, low end through the BMax/212 combonation

Getting more mids of course throught the 410...witht the split signals I'm not losing the low end when I engage the wah pedal either.

This rig is working great for me and we're playing original music as I describe as progressive hard rock/metal with a bluesy edge. think Tool, Clutch, Zepplin, Sabbath, STP, Sevendust

13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Since there's no such thing as best...

My current personal favorite combination is Mesa amps with schreoder cabinets.

Schroeder Cut with the clarity and growl of the mesas.....mmmm

works for me

14. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    My personal favorite metal rig (or any style really) is Mesa 400+ and ampeg cabs. some variant of the 410HLF cab. For maximum effect, 2 cabs.

15. I'm using a Peavey head and Avatar cabs for metal. It works- plenty of mids and lows, not really very dirty though, and when it does get dirty its not the prettiest dirty. I played through a Sanamp>Eden power amp> Sunn 215 in a hardcore-metal jam session and that rig sounded excellent for that style of music. I would turn and run from anything really scooped sounding for metal, although I hear a lot of bassists using that sound locally.

16. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    the bassist from avenged sevenfold uses GK heads and cabs.

17. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +1000 Mesa is killer for rock and metal.

18. Budget is def. a big issue. Right now, I'm using late 1980's Ampeg SVT II (pre-pro series) on a mid-range price Peavey 410 TVX (4ohms) [new the Peavey cab at Sam Ash is $550.00]...It holds it down decent but the Ampeg wants more...I'm replacing the Peavey with a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 410 + 15 [a painful but worthwhile $1369.00]. I want the 410+15 setup that Cliff Burton used on the Master of Puppets Tour. A 410 is great for clarity but the 15" give you more punch and boom as mentioned previously. So I like to put them together. Also I don't now if your into thrash and power metal-check out James McDonald formerly of the band Iced Earth (not sure if I spelled his last name right) rig from the Gigantour [toured with Dave Mustaine and Megadeth]in 2005- He used a GK 2001 head (correct me if I'm wrong guys) on top of a GK cabinet (4 12" speakers) which I believe is the same set up that Johnny Christ from Avenged Sevenfold uses.

I tried out my SVT II on top of the Ampeg 810 and then on top of the Powerhouse with 410+15...I recommend the Mesa Powerhouse cabs over Ampeg cabinet's. I just feel the Mesa gives me more growl. Also check out Mesa b/c they have different arangements with their Powerhouse cabinets..they also have 810's and 2X15" I don't know if they have the 412 setup GK has. Goodluck-hope that helped dude!

19. Pooly

Pooly

Feb 14, 2006
    London, UK
    Yeah, for your wallet as well :-D

20. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I like ampeg hybrid amps for metal (ie svt-3, svt-4). To me they have a very clear, modern sound. I use an SVT-4 with a Mesa 2x15 cab. If you want something more vintage sounding, I like the sound of the Mesa Mpulse 600. It sounds a bit warmer and more oldschool, IMO, but it may not have enough power, depending on your volume level and PA situation. Also the MESA 400+ can be very cool for metal, depending on what you're going for. It was a bit much for me though in the loudness dept and not as responsive as an amp with a solid state power section, which is to be expected from an all tube amp.