1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metalcore Muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Afrokid, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    Whats the most effective way to mute the C string in songs where they do triplets on C and then move to the other strings? bands like august burns red, as blood runs black do this alot. I've been using my pinkie to mute the string but i noticed it affects my timing with my index and middle finger.

2. You use your plucking-hand pinky? I usually mute with my left hand fingers.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Unless you're talking about a palm mute-style sound, you're going to do it with your fretting hand. Riff with the middle, ring and pinky fingers, roots and mute with the index.

4. Krowser

Krowser

Feb 10, 2009
    I play a lot of ABR and the way I mute breakdowns is usually with with my left hand but lately I got a lot better with 3 finger right hand plucking and I just mute the C with my ring finger (right hand)

5. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    if you're talking about palm-mute style sound, you can fret with your index finger and mute with your ring finger

6. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    yea i've been using my plucking hand pinkie (i play finger style) so im not exactly sure how i palm mute playing with my fingers. but i'll give the left hand muting a try, and hopefully it works out. can anyone evaluate the pinkie idea (for the right hand), is it a good idea or is it physically restricting my playing?

7. Krowser

Krowser

Feb 10, 2009
    Ok sorry I misread your first post.

I use my thumb.
    I just played Speech Impediment and on the first riff after the intro:

------2-3------5-7
    0-0-0----0-0-0-------etc...

That one, I mute the C string with my thumb by doing the movable anchor thing. I play the 0 triplet and then anchor my thumb on the G string (2nd from the top). As I do that, the knuckle of my thumb mutes the C string.

If I stay on the same string I just mute with the fingers of my fretting hand or I use the next finger in my plucking hand. I play three finger style and if I played the last note with my middle finger, I'll mute with the index. If I played the index, I'll mute with the Ring.

I tried muting with the pinky but mine isn't long enough to make it convenient. You must have pretty long fingers if you can make that viable. I would suggest using your other fingers. (Right hand)

8. THUMB!!!