1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metalhead Elan MK5 tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rich48, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
  2. elan memran

elan memran

Jun 10, 2018
    Hi, Brett Simons Chicago the band bass player is using it

3. elan memran

elan memran

Jun 10, 2018
    Had a minute before meet & greet with Chicago in Colorado Springs to take a photo of my current pedal board configuration. Chicago's stage setup is amp-less and I was committed to finding a solution for an ‘amp’ channel to run in parallel with my bass DI signal. With the help of a couple friends and my great professional relationships, I was able to assemble an ‘amp board’ that delivers some incredibly impressive tones.

The cornerstone is the Atomic Ampli-Fire Box, in which I’m using a KT-88 power amp model that feeds Ampeg and Marshall cabinet IR’s from RedWirez and OwnHammer. On the front end, I’m using an EBS Multi-Comp that feeds an ELAN Amplification Mk-V Bass preamp - a fantastic pedal board based tube pre-amp stage that is just incredible. I have an EBS Multi-Drive as a standby drive when needed (this is post preamp, as in an effects loop, and is set up to be swapped out with other pedals on the roster - which include a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe, an EBS ‘The Drive’, a JHS Morning Glory and a Way Huge Pork & Pickle). I use Radial J48 DI’s for the clean and amp channels for my monitor and FOH dudes and it’s wired up with the phenomenal Premium Gold Flat Patch Cables from EBS on a Temple Boards SOLO 18. I’m blown away by the results and, short of having an amp mic’d up, I’m as happy as I could imagine.

This board would be not possible without the help of my pal Peter Thorn (who introduced me to the Atomic box) and Jon Button (who suggested I check out the ELAN pre), along with my following friends:

Tom King, Marc Gallo and Jace Nuzback @ Atomic Amps
    Elan Memran @ ELAN Amplification
    Jim Rhodes @ Radial Engineering Ltd.
    Ralf Bjurbo @ EBS Professional Bass Equipment
    Cas Bitner @ Templeboards
    Loren Hill @ Darkglass Electronics
    Darryl Anders @ Jim Dunlop Guitar Products/Way Huge
    Zach Simms @ JHS Pedals
    Mike @ Redwirez
    Kevin @ OwnHammer

4. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    Thank you for your reply on the Elan preamp and the info on the Atomic Ampli-fire box. I have not bought one yet but it’s high on the list of gear I would like to have.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018