Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metalizer pedal (help quick!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlowRiot, Dec 18, 2002.

1. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    The Boss Digital Metalizer thingy - i just found one going cheap, and im looking for more effects to play around with - so i need advice quick on whether to get this.

So, two questions:

a) what exactly IS a metalizer? I get that its big heavy metal distortion or something, but was wondering if anyone can explain exactly?

b) will it work with a bass? I mean im sure it will WORK, but will it make a noise worth hearing?

Cheers

PS: here's a pic: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/images/gear/Boss_MZ2DigitalMetalizer_l.jpg

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Most digital distortions are lacking to the discriminating ear. You definitely want to try before you buy if it's a pedal for guitar because they rob low-end more often than not. If it's an insane amount of gain you want, then I highly recomend the Zoom TM-3 Tri-Metal. It's made for low-tuned guitars and doesn't rob ANY low-end on bass. It has the 2-knob scoopable mid section so you can make it get even bassier and achieve that total nu-metal sound (if that's your thing) Analog and true-bypass, also. Also try the Ibanez PD7.

3. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    thing is im only looking for a little cheap lame-o thing to play around with and experiment... not looking for anything quality just now, only something to mess my sound up for freaky songs. And i can get this for £30... so, should i?

4. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    I cant really try it out, i have to either buy it or not and i have about 3 hours to decide. Thing is can anyone actually explain what it DOES precisely and what it actually sounds like, rather than just whether it sucks or not??

5. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Oh, I'm sorry I didn't notice you were in the UK. I don't even know if you can get the Tri-metal or PD7 over there or how much they would be. All I can tell you is with any digital or guitar pedal, try before you buy or make sure you can return it. I didn't like the new Digitech bass OD so, I wouldn't buy the Metalizer.

6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    What it does? It's a distortion pedal marketed towards nu-metal guitarists. I've been told it has a naturally scooped-mid sound but yet, it has no mid knob so I would'nt get it just because of that. I've got the ZOOM Tri-metal and it kicks maximum ass.

7. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    £30!! bah you bunch of scrooges :p

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I used to have the MZ-2. I used it with guitar, not bass. I like heavy distortion on bass if I'm messing around, but I never use it for gigs.

I think this pedal is pretty cool. It's got 2 outputs so you can get true stereo. It has 6 or 7 presets that give you different choruses and doublers. If it's going cheap and you just want something to mess with I say get it.