Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallic buzzing noise on new bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Hello!

I need some help here. Yesterday i got an aria P-Bass copy and whenever i play the E string (no matter if i press any fret or not) there's a buzzing metallic noise. That noise doesn't appear when playing other strings.

I pressed the tuners while playing the string - no difference; the bridge - no difference; muted the other strings - no difference.

So could it be the trussrod? I already adjusted the neck to be straight, so what can i do now?

The strings on the bass feel kinda "uncomfortable" could it be simply a string problem?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It could be that you don't have enough of a bend in the string between the nut and the tuning post. Fenders and their clones are notorious for that. Hard for me to tell without any pics, but I will often have to wind the whole string onto the post to get enough bend.

3. It isn't that. I pressed down the strings before the nut so that there'd be more pressure.

4. How "straight" did you adjust the neck? How LOW is the E string's height? Does the buzz sound like it's coming from the neck area? Does it buzz when you pick the string "lightly" also?

One of the first things I would try is to raise the E's height. Keep tuning it back to tune and keep trying it. If it stops buzzing, you can maybe back it down a little at a time to see if you can find the fret that is causing it.
    Could possibly be a high fret, but that's not very common.

Mag...