1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metallic clank

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EtoBb, May 4, 2010.

1. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 6 string ibanez SR886. When amplified it produces a metallic clank sound.

I have isolated it to the pickups--when I tap them with my finger the clank sound comes through. The sound can even be heard when the bass is not plugged in.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this problem? Are they too hot?
    Would lowering the pickups help?
    Are they just bad pickups?

Only the softest touch will prevent the sound on the lower strings, and I like to have the option to dig in.

I don't think this model was made for very long, could this be a pretty common problem?

2. Sandor138

Sandor138

Jan 16, 2010
    Providence RI
    It can't be the pickups if it happens when it's not plugged in

3. Does the bass have exposed pole pieces and are the strings striking the poles?

4. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    It is not the truss rod, if that is what you are getting at. Tapping the neck will not produce the sound. In fact, tapping anywhere on the bass besides the pickups produces the expected sound.

5. It could be if something is loose inside the pickup.

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    im willing to bet its either the strings hitting the pickups (pickup height) or hitting your lower frets (relief and saddle height), had the same problem with my P Bass not too long ago.

7. You need a proper set-up most likely. Maybe the screws attaching the pick-ups to the body are a little loose? Could also be that your pick-ups are to high-up and making contact with the string when you play.

8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I'm guessing it's the Lower Frets. I have a Similar Problem as I enjoy "Diggin In" as well. Try raising each Saddle 2 full turns Higher, and see if it goes away/Gets Less Clanky.

If you can't get rid of it, find a way to make it sound Cool and call it Your Sound?

Cheers!

9. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL
  10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    if it happens when its not plugged in then its not an electronic pickup problem, but could still be the pickups making a physical sound

but i agree, its very likely your setup.

11. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Can you make a sound clip?

12. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I will make a sound clip tonight.

Until then, if someone can explain how to post sound clips that will help speed things up. Will I need to sign up to some service? Can talk bass accept the file?

I will likely be using windows sound recorder. That's about as high tech as my recording equipment gets.