Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Metallic" sound on my new Rockbass..hmmm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 10, 2002.

1. So I picked up one of the Warwick Rock Basses the other day and am quite impressed with the build quality and the sound. I do have one concern, however. It has 2 J pickups and when I repeatedly pluck the E string (one of the bass lines from an AC DC track I'm learning), the sound through the amp is "metallic", like metal resonating. I can't really explain it obviously but I tried it through my little trainer amp and that same thing happened. I still think it's a great bass but I was wondering if this is simply the type of sound I shoud come to expect from J pickups or is there something wrong? I tried EQing it out without much luck.

Do those of you who play J-basses have the same sound?

Thanks.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you may need to get your bass setup better.. lighten up you touch when you pluck the string...

3. No matter how softly I pluck (I use my fingers) it is still there. The factory setup seems very good. The action is perfect, it stays in tune, and I adjusted the intonation so its perfect. Hmmm

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Have you tried lowering the lower-string sides of your pups.....in other words, so that the distance between the pickups and the E string is greater than that of the G string and the pickups???

If the E string is bouncing off of high profile fretwire, your pure-sounding single coils will almost certainly "pick it up."

I had a metallic "clicky" sounding bass with a powerful J pup and it took adjustments to;

- pickup height
    - bridge saddle height
    - my technique

It never went totally away but it became negligible.

5. Does it produce the sound at the attach only or does it sustain?

6. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    now i know this is slightly patronising but im gonna ask anyways just incase.

U sure youre just not used to the new strings?

7. Interesting suggestion rickbass..I will check that out. It's not a HUGE deal, as I still love the way the bass sounds, but it is slightly annoying. I re-strung it with a brand new set of D'Addario nickel's and the metal sound was still there. I'm almost under the impression that it's supposed to sound like that. It's difficult to explain; kind of like a metal reverb.

8. thats what i was thinking...

9. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    uhhhh... are you talking about the slap sound? if so, that is what it is supposed to sound like. if it is a metallic rattle, adjust your truss rod.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Does it have brass frets like many other Warwicks? If so that could be the source of the sound...maybe you're just not used to brass frets. That's one aspect that I don't like about most warwicks...just don't care for that and it does tend to have a somewhat metallic sound to these ears.

brad cook

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Most new strings sound metallic.
    Wear them in.

12. dr.AllodoX's thoughts on it..

1) new strings..stretch.. blah.
    solution : give the strings some medium pulls at the 12'th fret, then retune.

2) feedback from the other strings
    solution : mute the other strings with your ringfinger and pink while playing.

3) type of strings
    solution : try some other strings

13. He already said when he was plucking, so I doubt it's the slap sound. I highly doubt the truss rod has anything to do with this situation. He said the action was perfect. I got the impression the rattle was only audible through the amp. If it was audible unplugged, then it might be thre truss rod, but it could also be half a dozen other things as well.

My suggestion, try lowering the pick ups, or raising the saddles. I'm with rick on this one.

14. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Keeping im mind to lower the pickups rather than heighten the saddles. If you heighten the saddles then that perfect action you have will become somewhat less perfect.

still think its the new strings tho...

:D

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    This might sound like a long shot - but are you playing it sitting down??

I've been caught out when one of my basses developed a metallic sound. It turned out to be the strap button on the top horn had worked its way loose. After tightening, the sound went away!

16. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Is it just an open E string?

Could either be a loose spring in the bridge, or a nut that is slotted to deep/wide.

Hold the E string down behind the nut when you pluck to see if the sound goes away. If it does it is a nut that is slotted too deep/wide.

If this is the case, try stringing your bass so the strings go THREE times around the posts, and are wound from top to bottom, so that the string approaches the nut at a steeper angle.

To see if it is the brodge, press down the intonation screw on the E string when you play. If the metallilc sound goes away it is the spring.

17. Ok to clarify: The sound is NOT a rattling sound. The string is not hitting anything and nothing is vibrating. I'm getting a metallic reverb.

Yes, I'm playing it sitting down.

I am taking it back to where I got it tomorrow and will more than likely get an American P-Bass. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be the cause of the problem is the fact that the strings are brand new and they simply need to get a little worked in, as suggested above.