Metallica’s Master of Puppets Hits 35

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    While Ride the Lightning is somehow my favorite, what I would consider Metallica’s best album—Master of Puppets—came out 35 years ago today.

kevin wells and StevieMac like this.
  2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Time does indeed fly. Make me down as more of a ride the lightning fan too.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  3. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I say I like Ride the Lightning best because it retains some of the rawness of Kill ‘em All while making huge leaps in musicianship and maturity, and because the highs are so high; but “Trapped Under Ice” and (especially) “Escape” do not hold up well against the rest of the record. Every song on Master of Puppets is great, though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  4. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I’m listening to it through high-quality headphones for the first time ever right now, and hearing some sounds in “Orion” I have never heard before :jawdrop:

5. josephbass86

josephbass86 Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Landmark album, I can’t imagine how many kids got into music cause of these guys and particularly this release.

Orion is, IMO, their masterpiece, and some of Cliff’s most inspired playing.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021