Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica and hearing da bass.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RHCFlea, Dec 2, 2001.

1. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    Seems to me there's only certain songs you can hear it, and then mostly on their live stuff. Like on enter sandman, you can hardly hear the bass, but stuff like Nothing else Matters on S & M it is really loud, especially the first note. Don't know why they don't put it on the studio versions, it sounds really good.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    WELL......
    thay had the bass on low when they recorded ...And justice for all because jason was just trying out...and it never changed because they thought the album was good that way!

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I dunno about that! I think Metallica would be the first to admit that Justice was not mixed right. In fact, James has stated this in at least one interview I read.

Part of the mixing problems (and something acknowledged by the band), could have been the fact that they changed producers halfway to the finished product (from Mike Clink back to Flemming Rasmussen. They kept the drum tracks that Mike had mixed though).

4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I stand corrected;) :D

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    moved to recordings because its not about the bassist, its more about how their basslines are mixed on the recordings

6. same problem on deicide's albums. you can't hear glen benton's bass, partly because scott burns was a **** producer. unfortunately, after burns quit, that didn't solve the bass inaudibility problem, unless it's the way the group wanted it...

7. A while back, a friend of mine and I listened to the entire Justice album for old times' sake. We came to the conclusion that there was no bass on the album!

Of course, this is just pure speculation and is not based on anything we've read, but we just didn't hear one dang note of bass!

8. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    James said in these words about the And Justice for all.

James " You could tell who produced the album with super loud guitars and drums, me and lars"

9. point of order: he was drinking a lot then.

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Point of order still: Even thought he is out of re-hab he probably still is drinking alot

11. yet another point on top of that: i wouldn't doubt it for one f*cking millisecond.

12. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  13. I have to disbute the "lack of bass" in Justice. Listen to Harvester os sorrows on ANY stereo. That moaning sound that seems to distort even some of the best speakers in the world would be Jason. Not lack of articulate bass notes is a WHOLE different question. I but Justice though a RTA system once and its loaded with low notes. But they are all compressed and mudied up. But Justice is a great point to look at the change in bass placement in their albums. I have heard people say that Cliff would have never let Justice of Black leave the studio they way they did.

14. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Cliff would have made metallica go way futher if he was still aorund today.

But im sure he is in the big music shop in the sky looking down on Kirk, Lars, Jaymz (and to a lesser extant Jason) and wiping a tear away from his eye coz he i so proud of them

Yes soppy i know but what ya gonna do?:D

15. the problem with Justice, was the producing, and the way Jason played (placement of notes). if you look at the music, he doubled the guitar a lot, and that (I think) helped him get buried in the mix.
    if you listen to the way he played on every album after that, you hear he has changed his playing style to better support the songs. now I have no problem hearing Jason.
    Cliff sometimes got buried too, but you can hear him good on Kill 'em all where he had that RIC tone :D I love the wah stuff on Call of Katulu from Lightning, its just one big bass solo:p
    wouldn't it be awesome to hear how good Cliff would be these days, maybe he would knock some sense into James and Lars.