Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica: Bass Legendary Licks 1983-1988 DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hitman9696, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Does anyone know about this? I just stumbled upon while surfing on Amazon. There were no reviews posted, so I tought I ask you talkbassers.

[​IMG]

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Looks like a DVD of Doug Boduch, showing you how to play bass lines from Metallica's Kill 'Em All, Lightning, Puppets and Justice releases.

I've never seen it, but I imagine it's like having your best friend show you how to play "Blackened."

;)

3. Ditto on that. I have a book kinda like that. I have the one with bass licks from like every other song..and 200-something page bass book with tablature for the Garage Inc. Cd's.

Which, I'm proud to say, I mastered. Took a whole week though. :bassist:

4. does he demonstrate the lines from "Justice" on air bass?:p

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    No, he uses an actual bass, but it's not plugged in.

:D :D :D

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I saw it and i watched the intro, then the shop shut :mad:

It looks decent though. It may provide alot of in sight into both cliff and jasons playing. Id be worried if i didnt though lol. :D

7. Is there any basslines on Justice? This album's production sucked way much more than St.Anger, IMO. Better songs, though. Just too bad they forgot the bass... :(

8. IIRC, Jason had wrote basslines for the songs, but James thought they strayed too much from the structure of the song, and felt Jason was showboating too much, and he wasn't about to give that oppurtunity to the new guy.

Thats what I understand the story to be at least. I could be wrong though (i kinda hope I am :meh: )

9. I have that book but not with a dvd just a audio cd. It does not contain whole metallica songs just licks (more from some songs and less from others). It's nothing wrong with it or anything. If you are a beginner it is probably very good since you hear the bass play a part (which is in notes and tabs in the book) then you hear a whole band performing that piece of music (minus the vocals). It's good but nothing special. Might be better with the dvd though.

10. the production on AJFA is one of the great unsolved mysteries..
    you can hear Newsted loud and clear (albeit with a pretty ratty tone) on the cheaply-produced garage days covers album they did.

but on AJFA you can only just about hear traces of bass on "one", "to live is to die" and the title track.

"Harvester of sorrow" completely baffles me-
    in the live version on the "a year and a half in the life of" Newsted does slides on the E string in the intro- which you should hear on the album version as there's only one clean guitar at that point- but no trace of any bass at all.

it's fun to load that song into your 4track and overdub your own bassline:D

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I can hear the bass on 85% of the album on my stereo. Granted, it's very low in the mix. Once you know what his tone sounds like on the album, you can actually pick it out in there.

Hey man... uhhh, ever consider the possibility that Newkid was playing it different live than he did in the studio? He usually didn't stick to his studio bass line note-for-note when they performed live. Just a thought.

12. yeah- on the live version of harvester he was actually playing!:p

13. Haha. Yeah Metallica is always trying new sh*t out when they play live, just like other bands do.

I know Cliff was very fond of improvising when playing live.

And no offense to Rob..but I want Jason back man!! :meh:

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I jsut heard that tallica are playing here 28th of january...YEAH!!!!