Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica: Cliff Or Jason

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, May 27, 2001.

1. I know most of you are prolly getting sick of hearing about Metallica, and I'm prolly gonna get a lot of flack for asking this, but seeing as I don't really know everyones opinion on this matter (my dad has the computer, I'm here every 2nd weekend). But who do you think was better, Cliff or Jason? I think Cliff is superior (Orion, Anesthesia) but Jason also has some mad skill. I really didn't like the fact that Metallica went a little soft after Cliff's death, and I really didn't think Jason helped Metallica at all after, but he also didn't make them suffer. I don't think I'm making any sense, but thats ok.

2. "I really didn't like the fact that Metallica went a little soft after Cliff's death"......When exactly did "...AJFA" and "TBA" become "soft" ??

Anywho, I don't think either of them was better. Cliff is the reason I picked up bass in the first place, but Jason and David Ellefson (Megadeth) are much closer to the style I developed for myself.

3. True, Justice and Black Album weren't exactly soft, but Load and ReLoad were far from their greatest albums, I think that goes to Master Of Puppets.

4. Jason has some great skill but no one cares because he is nothing like Cliff. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges man. Finger-picking to using a pick. Different backgrounds in music as well. Also, you can't forget who had more freedom. Jason has his solos. Cliff had his. They both had pretty good composition. If speed is makes you the best then Cliff was the best (out of the two).

5. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I like them both but comparing them there is no question that Cliff was better. Jason did have his moments though. He was a good player but I just like Cliff better.

6. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

...I dont think he was a goof at all.... :D

....if you can somehow get a hold of Jason's Bass solo, on the TOWER OF STRENGHT album (live in Euope somewhere) , Check it out becuse If ANYBODY say Jason is over-rated, and they hear this solo, it will shut them up faster than Flies on sh*t!!!

...... Some might even think its better than Cliff's solo's......

7. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Ron McGovney ;)

I always liked Cliff better.

8. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    while we're at it, who's the better bassist; Victor Wooten, or Jaco Pastorius?

Answer: They're both better than I am likely to ever be!!!

Now, back to the subject, Cliff and Jason both have enough talent to be invited into the most succesful and recognized metal bands of all time.
    What's that say for them??

9. I read an interview with Lars Ulrich and he said after Burton's death Metallica completely sold out. He said "Cliff never would have let us do that black album ****, or that load ****".

10. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

I heard that too...... I'd say they sold out after their self-titled album( Black). I still like their albums but they dont have Cliff's special touch.....

now Metallica has "car-mats" with thier name on it......

....I PRAY TO GOD THAT THEY DONT TURN OUT LIKE KISS!!!!!!!

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    For me, Cliff will always be the bassist for that band.

MoP is their best work IMO, and I consider that album definitive Metallica. Cliff was with the band during the times when I liked their music the best.

Most everything after MoP paled in comparison. There were only some tell-tale remnants of the band they once were after that, e.g. Dyer's Eve.

I still listen to RtL and MoP, I would not buy anything after AJFA.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Could you post just the solo? I'm really curious to hear what Jasons playing sounds like. The only bits I've heard are those rare moments when you can hear him through the mix on Metallica albums. People have referred to this solo over and over, I'd love to hear it.

13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I like everything from The Black Album onwards. The earlier stuff, for the most part, was too hard and heavy for me, and lacked the melody and warmth as the later Metallica. But...Burton was more technically sound.

14. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    BTW-

I hope Newstead's solo is as cool as Michael Anthony's!!!!!!!!!

15. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

If you all want to form a honostly educated opinion(sorry if I sound offensive) go to http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/newsted.shtml You can learn a bit more about Jason there. My opinion is that Jason is better but Cliff came first to me. Geezer and Cliff got me going starting out and influenced my style but Newstead, Pattituci and Pastorius really kept me hooked.

16. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

....I REALLY wish I could but I dont know how to play it, and I dont have the winamp file anymore....but If I do find it( dont hold your breath), I will definately let everybody know!!!!!

Im pretty sure he's got a flanger, and some other weird effects goin'....It's pretty damn sweet!!! And VERY RARE......

17. CLIFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no doubt about it!