Metallica Concert Last Night...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Oct 7, 2004.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    :hyper: Absolutely amazing. Everything was perfect (except for the $3.75 i spent on pop ;)). I went in thinking that James' voice would be like it was on S&M... more tamed with not as much growl. But last night, his voice was perfect. Kirk played all of the guitar solos perfectly, although his volume was a bit low. Rob had a great bass solo, starting with a slap/pop riff, and eventually moving into the Orion interlude. The crowd went crazy when Orion started. The crowd was booming throughout the entire concert in fact, and the pyro was awesome. There were a grand total of three encores! It was probably one of Metallica's best set lists as well. I can't remember the order, so I'll go by CD...

St. Anger:

St. Anger

Mission Impossible II Soundtrack:

I Dissapear

The Ecstasy Of Gold
    No Leaf Clover (I was surprised that they played this, and it was very well done)

Nothing from Garage Inc.

Nothing from Load

Wherever I May Roam
    The Unforgiven
    Enter Sandman
    Sad But True
    Nothing Else Matters

...And Justice For All:

Blackened (this surprised me as well, they did an awesome job. It was a great opening song)
    The Frayed Ends of Sanity (just the intro, as part of their first encore)

I was really glad they did more than just 'One' from AJFA, as it's my favourite album. I was hoping they would play 'Dyer's Eve' but 'Blackened' made up for that. :)

Master Of Puppets:

Master Of Puppets
    Disposable Heroes (yet another surprise, it was part of their second encore, although they cut some small parts of the song out)

Ride The Lightning:

Creeping Death (the breakdown in the middle was incredible, with everyone in the crowd screaming "DIE")
    Fade To Black

Kill 'em All:

Seek & Destroy (their final song, and a great way to close)

A great set list, but I was shocked and dissapointed that they didn't do 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. :( But besides that, everything was great. I was also surprised that my seats were so good. I expected the guys to be little specks, but they were actually great seats. It was an amazing first concert experience, and it may be the first and last time I get to see Metallica live. I'll never forget that concert. It was worth failing my science test today. :p Sorry for the long post guys! :)

Graeme :bassist:
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    One of the best memories from my teenage years is going to see Metallica and screaming die with everyone else in the arena. Sounds like a good show.
  3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I wish I saw Metallica when they came around my parts. :( I'm surprised that they didn't play more from their older albums. Thats a great first concert experience. My first concert was better, I got to see Iced Earth. :D
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I seen them twice and they played it both times. Despite people's feelings about St. Anger, I think they are still in top form.

5. overall, that sounds like a great set list, they pretty much played everything you wanted to hear, right? Seeing that set list I would have walked away satisfied...I hope they didn't kill you on the price!?

Did Godsmack open? Were they good?
  6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Sounds like an awesome show. I'm going to see them in November. This will be the first time I've seen Metallica so now I'm even more pumped up to go.
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I saw Metallica in July. They were excellent, too bad I had to spend like.. 360 dollars, not including taxi and food.
  8. three hundred and sixty dollars for a concert!??!?!

that's what's wrong in the concert industry...the ticket prices are usually very high for a big show like that. You should see the receipts for one show!!!

I have abandoned big shows like that because 1) usually too expensive, about $50 is my limit. 2) they are just too big and you dont get the sound like you do in, say, a 3,000-5,000 seat hall.

Not that Metallica would ever play a hall of that size.

I just sat 10 feet from John Scofield for an hour-and-a-half set and it was only $12! Talk about value.

Sorry about the off-topic rant.
  9. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    im not at all fond of their latest albums but metallica have some great tunes. glad you got to hear the classics
  10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Wait.. I forgot to add that I had to fly to Reykjavík and back.. The plane tickets were like.. 260 dollars IIRC.
    Too bad that the concert was on the 4th of July and I was broke for the rest of the month. :meh:
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah, basically everything, except 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', and the price was pretty good. Only $50 Canadian, plus some service charges for great seats. The drinks were the killer. $3.75 and they wouldn't even give me a lid. And yes, Godsmack did open, they played a good show, and finished with 'I Stand Alone'. All in all an excellent experience. But have you seen the t-shirt prices at concerts? Way too expensive. :)

12. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    thats what i love about the shows i usually go to. $15 shirts and $10 CDs :) and i dont know about you guys but i dont buy drinks, i just go to the bathroom and drink out of the sink haha
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  14. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot... my voice is still shot from singing every song, and when I got home, my ears wouldn't stop ringing. All part of the experience! :)

15. That setlist sounds a lot like the one they played in Werchter (officially the best festival in the world :smug: ), where I saw them. Their set lasted about two hours or something. Dropkick Murphys played that day as well... and Korn! :p
  16. There be a rumour goin' round that Metallica are coming to Britain next year....if it's true I'm off to see em!
  17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Hello way-off topic guy.
  18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

mwhahahaha :cool: . I'll shut up.