1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metallica covers Maidens "Remember Tomorrow"!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not bad at all, I'm interested to hear the new album now. I doubt I'll fall in love with it, I'm kind of over Metallica... really... I'm way over Metallica. But solid cover, music is good, the bass is audible, the vocals aren't the ******** that was on St. Anger... the drums... are terrible. :D

Really, Metallica would be so much better with a good drummer. But still... solid cover.

2. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    I like it. Its not exactly Bruce Dickinson but Hetfield does well.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It was sung by Paul DiAnno (its on the Iron Maiden album) not Bruce Dickinson.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Paul Di'Anno Sang that song, not Bruce.

I thought it was OK but the original kills it.

5. I've always think Metallica sucks at covers. Every single cover they've made doesn't do justice to the original songs.
    Except for the Misfits ones.

6. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I prefer the original, by far.

It's still really good though, best Metallica song in the last 10/15 years :D

7. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

Um... Paul Di'Anno did sing the song, which he co-wrote with Steve Harris, on the Iron Maiden album but Bruce Dickinson has sung it on many occasions with several appearances of recorded versions of it featuring Bruce, including as a b-side to a few singles releases.

As for this Metallica version, I like it. I'm going to buy this Kerrang just for this Maiden covers CD.

8. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Nice enough. :)

9. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    +1

:D
    LOL

10. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    FIN
    Metallica somehow lost the feeling that original has captured.
    Drums were too much "on top" IMO. Great song and ok version.

11. Listen to:

Cover of Lynyrd Skynyrds "Tuesdays Gone" and Thin Lizzy's " Whisky In The Jar" and say that again. :smug:

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Thin Lizzy's version of Whiskey In The Jar is far superior.

Not too sure about Skynyrd.

13. Metallicas cover of astronomy by blue oyster cult is my favourite cover ever.

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    That's because it was Paul Di'Anno, not Bruce Dickinson.;)

15. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    There is a version of almost every Maiden song with Dickenson singing.

16. That's actually pretty cool. The best cover I've heard of theirs lately, though I'm not sure how many they've done since Garage Inc. I know they did a Ramones cover, the Good The Bad and The Ugly theme, and I like this one better (probably has something to do with my love of the original). Perhaps a Major Metal:Dlica fan can refer me to their other covers since 1998.

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    http://www.metallicaworld.co.uk/covers.htm

18. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Breadfan? Crash Course in Brain Surgery? Those are Great Metallica covers. This one... not bad. That dark tone of Paul Di'anno's voice lends itself well to Hetfield's groaning vocal in this instance...

I give it a 7..

19. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008
    Right. But folks were correcting the earlier poster for saying that Hetfield's rendition was "not exactly" as good as Bruce, which, in and of itself, is not an incorrect basis for assessment.

In any case, this is one of a handful of Maiden songs I actually prefer Di'Anno on.

I thought Hetfield did fine. I think it is a good cover.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021