Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica...grrr

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Aug 28, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm currently trying to learn "one" by metallica (one of their best songs, the first solo makes me want to play guitar) and no matter how hard i try i cant pick out the bass line. I'm using the version 2 tab off ultimate guitar, and i have no idea if it's right or not. Anyone who knows this song mind telling me at what time the bass comes in, that would give me a starting point. Also, what are some other good metallica songs to learn?

2. Steve19

Steve19

Jun 1, 2005
    Hamilton Ohio
    Bass line on that song can be really tricky to hear least to me i can hear it in parts but not fully, bass seems to start at about 1:15ish if you listen really close. i could be wrong so if anyone knows better then i do pls feel free to correct me.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Try listening to any live version you can get your hands onto... IIRC, S&M was even pretty good for a lot of solid Metallica playing, and a decent mix for the bass to learn songs from. Other than that, I can't help ya, I haven't played a Metallica song in ages.

-Ray

4. If i remember rightly a fellow board member by the name of lokire rerecorded most of that albumn with good bass (same songs, he just played bass over em.) That helped me when trying to learn AJFA songs. Guitar pro files help too.

5. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    yeah this is the first album featuring jason newstead, and James personally turned him down during the album because he was the "newbie". So that is why many of the tracks have virtually inaudible bass :meh:

6. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    1:15, in the same bar the drums start playing snare.

Kill 'em All has nice bass. I like the lines on seek and destroy and no remorse.

Load/Reload has tone to die for :)

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Try listening to One on S&M and the other live recordings.

8. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Two word's, guitar pro

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha. Looking at the title, I thought you wanted someone to tab out James Hetfield's vocals. :D

10. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    two more words

costs money

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    two MORE words: illegal copy :D

12. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    anything and everything on ride the lightning. and anesthesia pulling teeth. if you can find a drummer who can play it, its awesome.

13. Two more words, Trial Version, the trial version of guitar pro works even after its 30 day period.