1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metallica In the Classroom !

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 3, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I am current taking a Literature of the Bible course where we look at the Bible as work of literature as opposed to a living body of Faith and today I presented my final project to the class , I charted out all of the Scriptural locations in the lyrics to the Metallica song " Creeping Death" and gave a breif on how the bible in its literary form was compatable in musical expression. As part of my presentation I had the class watch Metallica's live performance of Creeping Death from Woodstock 1999 http://youtube.com/watch?v=CHI6GPgdHww&search=woodstock 99 creeping death , I had overwhelming support of my classmates on the project but several older and more conservative students had a problem with the Profanity with in the biblical theme which most live performances have with Metallica . Just thought I would share this with all of you.:) :bassist:

2. Nice one, taking the metal to the masses! How did the presentation go?

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Kevin - that's something that I'm interested in. The Biblical exegesis of modern popular culture is a very interesting subject.

4. MAJOR METAL

I have found it really is like an anthropomorphic study in the development of cultured society.

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    That sounds really cool! I would love to take a class like that sometime.

6. I think that it is clearly antidisestablishmentarianistic to have such a wishful viewpoint.

:p

:bag:

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    MM, that was WAY too big a word for me right now. It's the week before finals give my poor tired brain a break!!! lol

That does sound like a really cool subject to study. I wonder if my school offers something like it.

8. Everytime that someone has tried to yell at me about my music "coming from the devil" or whatever, I trot out those lyrics. They are a great hole card for those of us who have to deal with religious extremism.

Rock on
    Eric

9. Hey, welcome back, Eric!

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    "exegesis" is the word of the day. :cool:

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Man, this is just too weird. I haven't heard Creeping Death in (literally) 15 years, and then for some reason the tune came back into my head last night, out of the blue.

Then I get to work this morning and check TB (obviously) for the morning scoop, and there's a thread on Creeping Death. Strange...

Maybe God is trying to tell me something:

"Paul...Paul! It's time to go out and slaughter all the first-born sons...again!"

Can you even buy a recording of Creeping Death nowadays?

12. Ride the Lightning is $10.99 at my local Fred Meyers.:D

Rock on
    Eric

13. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Oh crap, that's right: I forgot that it's on that album. I was thinking it was on one of the old b-sides.

14. B-side? What's a B-side?

:D

Rock on
    Eric

15. MAJOR METAL

Is that new ? Thats a few $ cheaper then best buy.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Way to go Major, guys like you may just save the Catholic church yet. Because right now, a lot of us lifers are thoroughly disgusted. +1 to you !

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    awesome metal man... :cool:

18. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good job! I joke with my friends about it being the only song I know about Passover.

19. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    thats very cool

20. MAJOR METAL

I feel your pain. :(