Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica just realized...oh my God they need a bassist... really?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Saw this article on vh1.com and frankly I thought what the...??

So now Metallica will hire a bass player. An established one. No problem BUT...

The reason? Heh heh...

THREE GUYS DIDN'T LOOK GOOD ON A T-SHIRT SO WE HAD TO HAVE THE FOURTH GUY TO MAKE THE SHIRTS LOOK COOL!

HUH??? I MEAN... HUH???

Totally so Lars... geezuzkrayst...

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    like, totally! :mad:

wait, what? :confused:

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have no idea what that means, but I agree.

4. style before the bassist i suppose.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What's the point of Metallica having a bassist. Hetfield's guitar hogs up the low end. The bass (in new Metallica) is just this thing that will rarely cut through or be heard when the guitars pause, aside from that it seems to serve little purpose.

6. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    i agree, you can't hear any bass on their records anyway...at least not since cliff left us. hope jason finds more room in voivod...my favorite metal group.

7. you can't hear any bass on And justice for all, but the Black album and Load have the bass pretty audible in the mix - My friend of misery, Until it sleeps, king nothing have featured bass parts.

a lot simpler than Cliff Burton's playing, but you can hear it.
    actually, I'd say the bass on Ride the lightning and Kill em' all is less audible.

I suppose David Ellefson's waiting for that phone call again now...

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know Cliff wasn't audible a lot either. But in the lighter parts you can hear bass. Even in My friend Misery, when Hetfield comes in with that low-end hogging distortion... Jason almost disappears. Same with king nothing and until it sleeps.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes, most definitely. :confused: :confused:

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If I can't get the Metallica gig, I hope Michael Inez will get it.

11. So you like metallica...
    You play bass...
    You used to play in a nu-metal band...
    Will you be my mother? :D

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Ask one of my sons about that. I think I embarrassed them nearly to death on a few occasions. It really isn't all that easy when your own mom plays bass in a nu-metal band. I think they are relieved that I don't anymore.

Still...if I could just get the Metallica gig...they might feel differently. (Yeah, right--Lars and James would welcome a 59-year old lady bass player.)

You know what? Having me as the Metallica bassist might go well with their "kinder, gentler" image.:D