Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica MTV ICON!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, May 6, 2003.

1. What'd you think?

Personally,I liked it...

Some covers were horrible

I mean...Did you see Fieldy,or even worse...HEAR HIM?!:mad:

But...other then that a good show.

I think they shoulda paid alot of tribute to the person who started it all...

Cliff Lee Burton

-Jon

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I tuned in at the end of Avrils Performence, and i would say the Limp definitly took their cover to the next level. I am a Korn fan, but Fieldy ruined it for me.

3. I was suprised at how Avril did...I mean,for being her;)

Limp...eh,never really liked them.

He's too...rappish and sounds the same in every song

4. in repair16

in repair16 Guest

Apr 24, 2003
    Whiting, Indiana
    What songs did tese acts do? i cant beleive i missed it! :bassist:

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I loved it, it was well done. The first part was very interesting about Jason and why he left. Lars said something thats has been kicking around in my head for a whille he said" Metallica is now what Jason newstead wanted and he is no longer here". With the way things have turned out i really hope Jason comes back,their are allways possibilitys. I had been thinking that for a whille since the whole new attitude has been in effect. Avril was a joke, in my opinion that Fieldy guy with Korn does he even play bass it just lokked like he was hitting open strings. I do not like Limb Biskit but i have to say i was very impressed with what they did. Their Bass player had a Warwick with Green LED"S very cool.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I wish it would have been more like the commercials for it: them playing and in between speaking and answering questions. I hated the "Grammy" like atmosphere. It was more like a football game than anything musical. I didn't really like any of the cover acts.

I agree with Josh. Bring back Mustaine and step back into the garage. Let's get a little more raw like the proverbial good ol' days.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    crap...i missed it....i was at battle stations torpedo all night...

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Avril's guitar players sucked IMO. Their sound was too thin. Wasn't Metallica the band that popularized the scooped mids boosted bass guitar?

I liked Limps performance. Durst done good ;) . Who was playing guitar for them?

And what was up with Snoop? THe lyrics wern't even in order. :confused:

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Who did what covers? I don't have a TV and I'm curious...

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I missed sum 41's performance. Though to answer the question.

Sum 41-?
    Avril-Fuel
    Staind-Nothing else Matters(Very beautiful rendition, Though in all honest I can say these guys are nothing more than a ballad band similiar to Bon Jovi...yuck)
    Snoop-Sad But True(did this guy even reherse or know the words?)
    KoRn-One(My girl Meg halfway through this asked my what that annoying clicking sound was. I almost spit soda all over the T.V. from laughing)
    Limp Bizkit-Sanitarium(by far the best, everyone else but these guys failed to put their own unique twist on the songs).
    Metallica- Medley of greatest hits and then one from the new album(Which to me sounded like garage days meets "new metal", i.e. Korn):eek:

Did anyone catch what Sum 41 did?:confused:

Just for the record I've never been a fan of this band, but for the record when they came out with Kill'em all I was 2 years old. I think whats always ruined them for me is Lars. He speaks of his band like its a religion. Or at least it should be for every one else. Metallica and my spirituality are two seperate things, sorry Lars.:rolleyes:

IMHO they are not ICON worthy:spit:. Should have thrown it to Run DMC instead. Especially with loosing Jam Master J earlyier this year. Could have been much more interesting:meh: .

I did really like the fact that Newstead came out and said in a way that his reason for leaving the band was that Hetfield would give him no creative freedom(example-"You can't release that album Jason, if you do your not in my band any longer, You can't be in Metallica and have any other interest"). Jason telling him to shove it and leaving the band definately garnered him some respect in my book now. I thought he was kind of Hetfields toadie up till last night.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No kidding, Lars is horrible.

My excuse for them sucking now is that they ran out of jam session practice "Mustaine" tapes.

12. tboyd

tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I only came in about half way through last night. (During Korn's performance actually. I had a chuckle that Fieldy was even doing his slap routine in One. I'm not one of those die hard Fieldy haters that run rampant on this site, but I just thought it was funny) I thought that idiot from SNL doing the "If your happy and you know it..." parady was totally lame and unfunny. Oh well, I guess that's expected since SNL has sucked majorly for the past couple of years. Limps performance was definatley cool. (would have been cooler without Fred, but that's a different story) Sam totally ripped it up on that Warwick. (I never realized how much Warwicks look like Spectors) I dug how they stuck the little "groove" parts in the song. I thought some of Metallica's performance was good and some of it wasn't all that great. I never found them to particularly be a great live band. (maybe they were better back in the day) They never really sounded tight to me and the warts of Jame's vocal ablities really show live. I really loved Hit the Lights though. Rob totally ripped it up. Though, I still don't know how he can play so well with his bass slung so low. Still, I thought overall it was a cool event and I think they deserve to be honored.

Also, Kirk Hammet proves to me once and time again that he has damn good fashion sense. Gotta love the suit he was wearing. :p

14. Ramones or DMC!

I missed this, tho.. Maybe download something off of kazaa later.

15. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Be very,very careful when you say that, you never
    know when Lars is lerking around:eek: :D

16. Hrmm...

I look forward to Metallica's new album...I am curious to find out how they approached metal this time...

However,I think the garage days was the best...

Now,they're all...nu-metal and stuff...I miss the old days.

did anyone notice Rob's strap?!

It was crazy...

Fieldy dissapointed me last night,I liked his rig though...nice wall of Ampeg's...

I feel bad to admit this...but I thought Limp did decent

Avril...psch,her guitarist were good but thats about it...it was to normal,not tweaked in anyway..

I LOVED Aaron Lewis/Mike Mushok(StainD)'s cover of Nothing Else Matters...big deal it was about 2 minutes,it was still nice. that guy has a awsome voice.

sum41 did good,for sum41 ;)

OH! And Snoop Dogg:eek:

that was a publicity stunt...just to get all the rap-heads to watch it,I mean...that was horrible.

17. Okay, when is MTV playing the show again? They can never let shows like this die after just one broadcast; it'll be on numerous times...but when?? I was looking forward to it, then had to miss it due to an utterly uneventful date :meh: I must see those performances! Someone enlighten me.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Limp's new guitarist (so I seem to remember) is the ex guitar player of Snot, which might explain why they didn't completely bite... aside from Durst, I mean. Best cover of the night

I thought Korn did an OK cover of One, except for that damned clicking noise that kept throwing the sound off!

Avril...well, she kinda butchered Fuel, not holding the right notes in the right places (if indeed a right note was to be found), but she didn't make me cry like Snoop Dogg did. Just *** was that, anyway?

Sum 41 did pretty good, as did Staind. Not a butchering, but not "I'm going to turn off the TV now" bad, like Avril and Snoop.

Other than that... less talky, more walky!

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My litte brother watched it with me, and asked the same question. "What the heck is that clacking noise? It's ruining the song!"