1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metallica on the Jools Holland Show

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Elemeninki, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Was anyone else watching Metallica on the Jools Holland Show performing The Day that Never Comes?

I just wanna hear what you thought of it!

I couldn't hear Rob for most of it, apart from his little soloette or hammer-ons. He also seemed to think getting up and shagging Lars bass drum was a good start to a song.

I think James' vocals were good, and also his explorer seemed very nice, especially the fretboard.;)

Kirks fingers seemed to be lagging behind a bit on the solo.

And did they muck up the ending, or is it supposed to sound like that? To me it sounded like they were all out of time and sloppy, so Lars just beat the snare drum really loudly in a " stop now" kind of way to end the song.

Apart from what I mentioned, I quite liked it, but they did seem to be the only band to make mistakes throughout the show. Or maybe that's because Metallica and Kings of Leon were the only bands I was realy scrutinising?

2. +1

they all seemed to be struggling- Kirk grimaced like he knew he'd screwed up, maybe it's the Later environment that threw them.

hopefully there'll be more songs from them in the full version of the show on friday.

3. link?

4. Forcemaster

Forcemaster Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Portland, OR
    As much as I enjoy the new album.

I think that performance was one of the worst i've ever seen from metallica. God knows what went on.

5. just watched it. not too bad, but I think Metallica is dead.

6. I enjoyed this, I think the sound mix was at fault rather than the performance, although James did seem to be struggling a little at the beginning. Kirk's guitar sounded like it was in another room.

Bear in mind though, they would have been playing at a fraction of their usual volume.

Funny how every other band had a perfect sound mix:spit:

That Nicole whassername was good as well.:)

7. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Most bands sound like crap on Jools Holland, especially now some of it is shown live.

8. If you want to see how bad this performance was, watch their performance of wasting my hate on jools. I love metallica to a fault, but I think they had an off day when they played this time.

9. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Other than sound mix and a pretty bad flub at the end, I thought this was a great performance. Metallica hasn't done stuff this good for a decade, it's good to have them back.

10. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    not meaning to start any stuff here...we'll occasionally have flubs as typical weekend warriors...I would hope if I'm recording and making the kind of a living that Metallica is making, that there wouldn't be too many flubs...

11. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    It didn't do it for me as their sound was really bad as it had no oomph! Great to hear James' voice live though, no one else like him. I'll wait for Friday's repeat to see if they've tweaked it at all.