Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica Orion bass solo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Geej, Feb 27, 2005.

1. I already searched the forums for bout an hour and couldnt find the specific answer to this question

This is a great song, and me and my band were jamming it... and I said to the guitar player... "uh buddy, you missed a solo there" and he says "uh no, thats your solo" :eyebrow: (you know the one at 6:36 that starts with a 1 and a hlaf note bend from 21st fret on the g string...)

So im trying to learn it, not doing an all together bad job, but the speed is getting me, my fret hand speed...

The part where he does that crazy fast pattern with the pull offs
    G|-16-17p16----16-17p16----16-17p16----16--------------|
    D|----------19-----------19-----------19----17-----------|
    A|--------------------------------------------------------|
    E|--------------------------------------------------------|

Im not entirely sure on the technique to use here... ive never SEEN it played... but
    do you:
    A: Hammer on to the 19 on the D string as quickly as you can after pulling off from 17 to 16 on the G, and use that sort of sweeping motion (is that what its called) this is mainly what ive been doing... and at the moment have worked my way up to 10bpm behind the actual tempo... and tore up my fingers something fierce in the process...

or

B: using the index and middle fingers on the G string to do the pull off, and leave the ring finger sitting on the 19th fret on the D string so you dont have to move at all, except in the pull off... i tried this, and the tone sort of lost its clarity a bit but i got closer to the right tempo

or

C: put the 19 from the d string up to the G string at the 14th fret, andplay it like that?

:help: its an awesome solo though :D

2. That is definetly not a bass solo.

3. Yes it is.

IMHO of course. :eyebrow:

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think that solo is guitar but nothing wrong with trying it on bass.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm pretty sure that's a guitar solo.

6. Agent000

Agent000

Jan 23, 2005
    Listening to the song, it does sound like the bass falls out of the background for that bit, right before the harmonized part with guitar and bass. Very well could be bass, especially with cliff. As for playing, I would just play pull off's with my first and second finger, then play the 19 with the pinky. Just gotta play fast, not really a trick to it.

7. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    you guys are all on crack that is the bass solo its right after the last guitar solo

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I never said I wasen't on crack. :)

9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I used to cover this song as a kid.

Just listened to it - here's all the "lead" bass parts:

1:42 - 2:13 - the high distorted busy melody

2:57 - 3:11 - distorted bass melody right before guitar solo.

3:59 - 6:17 - Is almost all multi-tracked bass. There's some fingerstyle undistorted guitar underneath the more bach-ish counterpoint section.

6:36-6:54 - bass solo

I'm also pretty sure the intro is multi-tracked bass too.

Geej, for that solo go with option "C", then shift your hand up 2 frets for the next part of the solo. You won't be able get the end of the solo to sound dead on because there's a second bass harmony multi-tracked on it.

10. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I agree with Jean... but the bassline at 3:59 isn't multitrack by another bass. There's a guitar playing the same thing clean at 4:17. (octave pedal would work for that)
    And for the solo at 6:36, get an octave pedal for the multitracked part. It'll sound pretty close to it.
    You sure he's hammering and pulling off the 17? Probably is, but I pluck every note. That might make it a bit cleaner. Remember Light & Fast.

EDIT: the part at 2:57 is definately not Cliff. I hear a pick which means it has to be guitar.