Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica solo.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ThunderbirdIV, Apr 29, 2003.

1. ThunderbirdIV

ThunderbirdIV

Apr 14, 2003
    I have this video of Jason.. I think.. going to sit down on a step on the stage at a metallica concert and playing a bass solo for quite a while. It's about five minutes long. Towards the end the guitar comes in. It's a really beautiful solo. Anyone have any ideas of what this.. ? I really need to play it. PLEASE!

2. This is a varation on the "To Live Is To Die" middle theme, which was originally composed by Cliff Burton, before his death. Sadly, you can't really hear what he's doing on the album.

3. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Off to Recordings.

4. Assuming you're talking about the Binge and Purge video, either in San Deigo or Mexico City, he plays parts of "My friend of Misery," "Orion," and "To Live is to Die." I don't really remember though, it's been quite some time since I've seen the video, but I'm pretty sure those are the songs he played.

5. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    i think he's talking about the Cunning Stunts video
    I think it's titled the bass/guitar solo diddle or something.
    I the video it's awesome

6. Personnally, I was thinking of that video that was shot somewhere on the "And Justice For All" tour, with the big statue on stage. Newsted began playing alone, sitting on stairs, then was joined by Hetfield & Hammett, finally kicking in "Master Of Puppets". That was a great vid.

:bassist:

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Only one that I can think of comes to mind, there are two names for it: Anesthasia (don't know the exact spelling, and Pulling Teeth are the two names of the solo. Well, it is actually Anesthasia (Pulling Teeth) on the CD, I think... But whatever, it is actually a fairly easy solo, but is hella s|c. It's got a crazy metal flow to it, _-soto-_

8. ThunderbirdIV

ThunderbirdIV

Apr 14, 2003
    I think it might be cunning stunts but he starts with something else?

It's cool!

9. I think you are talking about the solo on Cunning Stunts.
    It is called "Bass/Guitar doodle".
    He starts with a part not found on any Metallica song, then continues with My Friend of Misery with Kirk joining him.
    After some variations of that they play the Welcome Home (Sanitarium) intro.

The tabs are easy to find if that's what you are looking for.

Obsolex: Anesthesia is Cliff Burton's solo. Jason never played it.

Both are great bass solos though :)

10. Yes, I think it is the one on the Cunning Stunts DVD. It is called Bass Guitar Doodle. The "sitting on the stairs" part gave it away. If he has short hair, then yes it's this. Very beautiful solo and tone. That Sadowsky of his has an awesome tone! But, I would like to hear him play it with his fingers once in a while.

You can get the tab for it on www.mysongbook.com. You need Guitar Pro to open it.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You're exactly right. The live portion of "Cunning' Stunts" was recorded here in Ft. Worth. I saw Newsted play that exact solo and it was pretty moving. Simple (took me about three times of hearing it to play it) but very melodic. In a sentence that exact sound is what I am always looking for. Some call it the "Sadowsky" sound but either way I really dig the melody and sound of it.
    A bit of info...Newsted once said in an interview I read that he has Roger Sadowsky specially fab extra water-tight rubber gaskets on all of the electronics and hardware on his Sadowsky's. Newsted said that he tests them by submerging them in a bathtub filled with water. Reason behind it was that Newsted said he sweats a lot and ends up ruining hardware/electronics while on tour. After seeing him up close and personal during the Ft. Worth show I understand. He changed shirts about a dozen times and was sweating buckets even when sitting there playing the solo.