metallica tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nugget, Feb 15, 2002.

1. can anyone tab out the bass lines that Jason plays in his solos on the Metallica box set
  2. Welcome to Talkbass!!

I'd recommend that you have a look in the Tabs section of the site and search for Metallica!!!! Chances are it'll be from the album versions - but it may give you an idea where to start!

Your liable not to get polite answers asking people to tab things for you. You might want to try to tab some yourself!
  3. Thanks man for your effort for helping me.
  4. Hey man, if you can't find the tab for the song you are looking for, or it doesn't sound right to you, PM or e-mail me. I've got the "Essential Riffs" book. It includes every song from Kill 'em All to Load.

A lot of people here are TAB Nazis :D and think everyone should read music. I read music, but tend to use TAB when I hear a song and want to learn it. I'm not about to spend Lord knows how much on a book of music just for one song, even if I could find the book in the first place.

Anyway, I don't mind Tabbing things for people if I already have it tabbed for myself.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

We should all be so lucky.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That got him on my ignore list a long time ago. :D
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Tab Nazis... hmm... does that mean I can call people "Theory Commies"?
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I believe I've been called a ThEoRy NaZi many times, and a ThEoRy FaScIsT a time or two, but this is a new one on me. Is this new moniker for people who eschew theory completely? Pardon my stupidity - I haven't had enough coffee yet.
  9. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    If I understand him correctly, now the tab dudes are TaB NaZiS... Since TaB and THeOrY are opposites (or so the story goes :rolleyes: ), and so are NaZiS and CoMmIeS... it's an opposites thing...

It makes no sense... we can't have both ThEoRy NaZiS and ThEoRy CoMmIeS... which are we, people?
  10. The real shame is that we can't just have intelligent conversation without folks resorting to pathetically infantile name calling simply because someone has a different opinion than they do (GOD FORBID!).
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    But... but... they started it!

Perhaps I was a bit vague. If a Tab Nazi is one who puts down the concept of TaBz, then a Theory Commie would be one who eschews the notion of musical theory and stadard notation, and writes antagonistic posts in order to bait "Tab Nazis" into pathetically infantile name calling because someone has a different opinion than they do. Sorry for the confusion.
  12. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's quite a pity that those tongue-in cheek posts of mine are so difficult to recognize...

No offense intended, to anyone. :eek:
  13. Please don't misunderstand me folks. I was not referring to this thread in particular. Perhaps I should have been less vague.

There just seems to be a tendency every few months to get into the name slinging between those who promote musical education and those who simply want to learn songs as quickly as possible. I see nothing wrong with either way myself, I just don't understand why so many people seem to think that the two must be at odds all the time.

[Rodney King voice]

Can't we all just get along??

[/Rodney King voice]
  14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

In my defense, I can only add that I try to be equally pathetic and infantile whether I'm dealing with friend or foe. :cool:

15. When i was starting out on bass and wanted to learn metallica songs i bought some tab books that had the notated line above the tab. In this way i could read the tab and the rhythms in the notated part at the same time. ( i could read rhythms really well but the actual notes caused me some problems) I would say this is an acceptable (ish) way of sight 'reading' for a beginner. Of course its better to learn to read straight off but i was young.

( my sight reading is still poor i wish i had learned it straight away)
  16. That is to be respected and emulated. Let this become a community of Equal Opportunity Offenders! :D
  17. I have no idea as to who wrote the book, and don't really care. It is currently sitting on a shelf gathering dust. But perhaps I should have mentioned that the book does include the musical notation, as MOST tab books do. And perhaps no one noticed the fact that there was a nice big SMILY FACE after "Tab Nazis" indicating it was a joke! And perhaps no one noticed the fact that I said
    I'm slow at sight reading, and slow at playing by ear. I'm trying to get off the TAB crutches. So flame me for being a slow learner. Flame me for taking a reprieve from playing bass, forgetting 85% of what I had learned. Flame me for using tabs, AND notation to get me back into playing. Flame me for offering to help someone learn a song. I didn't see any of you offer to help! No, you just rekindled the TABS vs. Notation war in this thread too. Way to show a new guy what great people we have here and how helpful they really are.

And as far as calling people TAB Nazis, I did it as a joke, as previously stated. However, since the Tab Nazis :mad: (note, grinning smily has been replaced with mad smily) simply cannot accept the fact that TAB is helpful to some and more readily available than notation, I will contiue to use the term, regardless of how well I read music. If someday, the sight readers and those who play by ear ever accept that people use tab and are happy with it, and not start a flame war, I will drop the derogatory term.
    And as far as theory goes, I'm learning it. I never said anything one way or the other about theory.

PS: Have you ever listened to Metallica. Try to play by ear with the bass practically cut out of the whole mix.
  18. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd say the last 5 or 6 tab requests threads that have been started, have been ignored by CLAN TABEVIL, until we are brought into it. 3 people came into this one talking smack about CLAN TABEVIL, then they start to cry when we come in and give our 2 cents.

If you just let it lie, it will be fine. You go up to the bear and start poking it with a short stick, then go crying to mama when you get scratched. What's up with that?!
  19. Merls, thanks for getting this thread back on track. However, I think it may have been in vain, as nugget, the thread started has not posted since the flame war began. I think s/he may have been turned off by the talkbass experience.

Jazzbo, my first post in this thread was to offer help to someone who was asking for help. As I recall, I said nothing derogatory about "CLAN TABEVIL." If a :D no longer indicates humor, sarcasm, etc, then I apologize, I missed that meeting.

No one brought anyone into this thread. No one started crying when you offered your opinions. As I recall, a member of "Clan Tabevil" started the flame by commenting on somone's signiture. If someone took offense to my "joking" comment about Tab Nazis, then they really need to lighten up. How does a newbie using tabs effect any one other than the newbie using tabs? Really, it doesn't. Is it really such a big deal if people use Tabs? If it was, then why does TalkBass have a Tab section? If Paul were to eliminate the Tab section, would that end the Tab vs Notation/ Play by ear war? No. It would only decrease the incoming flow of new members. It would also reduce bandwidth. So, it might not be such a bad idea to drop the tab section. Someone ought to bring it up to him. That might reduce the flame war to some degree. I don't see much purpose in having the Tab section, seeing as how it is a mirror of the BassTabArchive.

Anyway, I'm not ever going to tell anyone Tabs are better than notation. I admit, notation is better than tab. Playing by ear is better than tab. My only defense of tab is they are more readily available than notation. It gives us an idea of where to start. I look at the tabs, I listen to the song, if I have the notation, I look at that too. I happen to use all three. Like I've said in previous posts, in nearly all the TAB and Notation threads, I'm relearning my sight reading and listening skills. Tab is helping me do this, as a stepping stone to the bigger picture. One of these days, I won't have the need to use tabs. But, I'll never forget, that if it weren't for tabs, I would not have taken the bass out of the closet and started playing again.