Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica without Lars!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cliffburtonfan, Jun 7, 2004.

1. virtual rock reports: "Rock history was made today as METALLICA seized triumph from the jaws of disaster, after drummer Lars Ulrich was hospitalised with a mystery ailment, on the day of their headline performance at the second day of the Download Festival.

"Whereas lesser bands would fold in the face of such adversity, METALLICA were not going to let this little setback spoil the party.

"A frantic backstage call for arms (and sticks) rallied an impressive contingent of troops from other artists on today's line-up, all ready and willing to do their bit for the 'TALLICA, and a secret spur-of-the-moment rehearsal/audition was held in the band's dressing room to decide a set-list!

"The crowd were not informed of the crisis unfolding backstage, and patience was beginning to wear thin after the band had failed to appear, more than an hour after their due time, evoking the festive chant of 'You're ****!'

"At around 10pm, the 'Ecstacy of Gold' intro music kicked in, and the boos became frenzied cheers. These soon faded, as the three emerging band members walked solemnly to the front of the stage. Singer James Hetfield was quick to get to the point.

" 'We would like to apologise for being so late to start, but only three of us made it down here to Donington today. Unfortunately our drummer, Lars, is in hospital. We don't know what's wrong, but we wish him all the best. Some friends of ours are gonna help us out, so we're going to make rock history tonight!'

"First in the hot seat was SLAYER's Dave Lombardo, much to the crowd's obvious delight, as the band kicked off with an apprehensive 'Battery', and just about pulled it off, with a lot of nodding from Hetfield and bassist Rob Trujillo. Next up was SLIPKNOT's Joey Jordison, and then something magical happened. Surging into 'Whiplash', the remaining band members were unable to contain their smiles as it quickly became apparent that the small, demure figure behind the kit was not so much their salvation, as their hero of the day.

"As his confidence grew, Jodison began to add his own flavour, improvising thundering fills over 'Creeping Death' and 'Seek and Destroy', much to the glee of beaming guitarist Kirk Hammett. After a brief and not-entirely-successful attempt by drum tech Flemming to cover on a ropey 'Fade to Black', plans to bring on LIFE OF AGONY's Sal Abruscato and bring back Lombardo and Flemming were swiftly aborted. METALLICA had found their drummer for the night!

"After what will long be remembered as a truly legendary performance, a clearly shell-shocked Jordison staggered off-stage to an emotional reunion with his unmasked SLIPKNOT bandmates, proclaiming 'You just made rock history, dude!' He just did."

Pretty cool!!

2. that must have been fun for him.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I wish I could have heard it!

4. me to, I would love to hear Metallica live with a drummer who can keep time !

:D

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Jordison must have felt naked out there, with only 3 other guys onstage with him.

:D :D :D

I thought Joey was Slipknot's bassist?

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Did he wear a Lars mask?

8. sometimes i really wish lars's tennis career would have taken off.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I wish that all the time. He's the weak link in that band. Well, him and Bob Schlock.... I mean Rock.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think Lars is the weak link, along with James and Kirk. Trujillo ain't too bad.

11. they should have grabbed claypool when they had the chance...

i don't play drums and i can play some metallica songs.

12. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Why do they call themselves 'TALLICA ? That is so lame.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IIRC Lars is like the business brains of Metallica.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Cool.

15. I've always liked Slipknot's drummer, I think he's always held his own and always ripped it up. I went on Metallica's and Slipknot's drummer (Joey) did most of the show. Here is the article, http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=3164

Here is the setlist with who played drums for each song:

Battery w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer
    The Four Horsemen w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer
    For Whom The Bell Tolls w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
    Creeping Death w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
    Seek And Destroy w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
    Fade To Black w/ Flemming (Lars' Drum Tech)
    Wherever I May Roam w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
    Last Caress w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
    Sad But True w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
    Nothing Else Matters w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
    Enter Sandman w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

I'm glad they had Lars' drum tech out there playing a song too, I bet he was pretty stoked about that after being his drum tech for so many years.

Mad props to the drummers for learning the songs so fast, adding their own thing to it and performing the songs flawless!

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Get well soon Lars :bassist:

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 I heard that Rob is the same way with learning Metallica material for the first time.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    haha, that rules man, why don't they keep Jordison anyway? He can keep time and he DOES play his double kicks, instead of Lars :meh:

And man, JJ is small, but boy can he play :eek:

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Am I the only one that's not terribly impressed? Lars is not that great of a drummer (especially compared to the Slipknot and Slayer guys), the songs are VERY well known, and most of them are in 4/4. Wake me up when Pat Masteletto calls in sick and Lars comes in and subs for Crimson.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now, if those guys subbed for Flo Mounier on short notice like that, then I'd be impressed. And maybe even care a little bit.