Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Trist6075, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I bought the Metallica cd "Master of the Puppets." That is such a great album. Would you say that is their best work? If not, what would you say Metallica's best album is? I'm starting to get into their old stuff back when they rocked. I don't much like their new stuff though. Any other albums I should check out that have some tight bass playing?

2. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I just picked up master of puppets a few days ago, and I really like it. I like a lot of their stuff, but their older stuff is my favorite

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    My favorite Metallica album is "kill em' all"

If your looking for some nice bass playing, there is an awesome old punk band called Operation Ivy who really kick ass, also check out Rancid (same bass player), but for metal more like death metal, Slayer has some nice sounding bass lines, Tom Araya doesn't have amazing abilities, but he can come up with some nice wicked lines.

4. My favorite album of them is Kill 'Em All because it represents the real Metallica that started out as a speed metal band because after that I think they sticked with heavy metal! It has really good bass riffs by Cliff Burton (RIP) and even a bass solo!!

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Don't wanna burst your bubble, dude, but Cliff got no writing credit on Kill 'Em All (I assume "Anesthesia" is his, but it's not listed in the liner notes).

I liked Puppets so much, I bought it twice (my first CD got scratched right in the middle of "Orion," so I bought a new one. That one was stolen with my CD player, so I (gasp) downloaded the whole CD and burned a new copy)! If you're looking for more of Cliff's solo work, check out "The Call of Ktulu" on Ride The Lightning. You may have to play with your EQ to actually hear it, but the whole song contains a Cliff Burton "solo" buried in the mix.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, Master of Puppets is generally considered to be Metallica's greatest album. It is my favorite as well. I know some people love it but Kill 'Em All is IMO juvenile bull**** that sucks. With "Ride The Lightning" (which is when I got into the band - pre major label deal) they really blossomed as a band, and "Master" really is them at their peak, to my ears. Much of the stuff since is very good also, but this is the best they've done to me.

7. remaster

remaster

Jul 17, 2002
    I really like s and m album but master of pupets is the best i think. I downloaded a bass solo called cliff'sast solo and it rocks played on a true heavy/speed metal bass a westone thunder a-1(same bass as mine) will knock your house down it is that power full.:cool:

8. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Of course "Anesthesia" is Cliff's,that's why Metallica moved to San Francisco. :D -Luke

9. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    kill em all is classic thrash. ride the lightning has their two best songs- for whom the bells toll and creeping death. if you want real bass death metal check out cryptopsy, soilent green, the red chord and entombed. rock.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. I love those two songs.

11. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think it's his, you think it's his, but we can really only presume it's his, because they don't list it in the credits, therefore, Cliff got no credit for it.

;)

I smelled what you were cooking though.

12. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I love Master of Puppets, but Black Album is my favorite. Also, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are awesome. The newer ones aren't as good.

13. Oh my, best Metallica album. Thats a hard one.

Kill Em All

The "coolest" album by far. But then Dave Mustaine wrote much of the material so its not so strange.

Ride The Lightning

They have developet a lot during the period in between KEA and RTL. RTL has that compleat feel I think. The album is one piec of music rather than 8 songs. It feel compleat I think.

Master Of Puppets

MOP does not have that compleat feel for me like RTL. Allthough you can´t find a bad track here either it is a little below RTL.
    And Justice For All

I like it but you can´t hear the freaking bass. Great debut album for Newstedt :rolleyes:.

I just can´t choose between these albums. KEM is all raw power, RTL is a compleat album, MOP has some of the best Metallica songs (Sanetarium, Battory and the lyrics of Lepper Messiah) and AJFA which contains my (maybe) favorite Metallica song Dyers Eve. So you can´t go wrong with the first four albums, after that it became less interesting acording to me.

14. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    The best Metallica albums are the first four. Personally, Ride the Lightning is my favorite. Everything after And Justice for All is pretty boring.

15. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    newstead joined the band during and justice for all, but didn't record on it. he is listed in the liner notes but i believe hetfield recorded most of the bass and thats why they dropped it down on hte mix. some tracks have no bass at all. give it a listen. octave peals and overdubbed guitars can do alot. anyway that album is boring.

16. Its hard to choose between two of your all time favourite albums, but I slightly prefer MOP to RTL, so it has to be my favourite Metallica album. I also like Kill 'em All, the Black Album and Load & Reload to a lesser degree, but for some reason I find all of AJFA really boring, except for "Harvester of Sorrow".

17. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I'll give my review. I've been a good metallica fan for the past 2 years or so.

Kill'em All:
    Not my favorite. The music on it is different but is brilliant I would say. The solos are really good. The riffs on each song are heavy. When they are played at different rhythms, the are alot better. If you get a chance listen to the kill/ride melody on the "cunning stunts" video. The excert from "four horseman was played different. It sounds like its a brand new song. "Seek n' Destroy" is one of my favorites on this album. That intro riff is killer.

Ride the Lightning:
    This is the album that metallica defines there music. Kill'em all didn't sound too much like Metallica. Ride the Lightning is the base of there music.

Master of Puppets:
    Excellent! One of my favorites. This the album you send someone to buy if they are looking for a good Metallica album to get into.

...And Justice For All!:
    Not a bass players favorite album. The sound of Metallica is still there. The riffs are as usually, heavy. This album bares the classic "One". Possibly Metallica's best song. This song give me the chills. It makes my arm hair stand on end when I hear that fast guitar riff and to hear james yell "DARKNESS! Imprisoning me!". "Havester of Sorrow" is also on there, cool guitar riff there.

Black Album:
    This is where Metallica gets a different tone and nobody seems to notice til the next album. This is the most popular album probably. It's not my favorite but it has a nice bass tone on it and it's interesting. Metallica spent maybe a year or 2 perfecting this album.

Load:
    I like it. Load was different for metallica. They opened up more and changed alittle. While many metal head critized Metallica for changing with this album, I constantly ask myself why? Because they tried something new?

ReLoad:
    Cool. I really liked "Fuel" when I seen the video for it on MTV. I remember watching it everytime it came on. I loved it. I wasn't into Metallica much then but that song made me become a fan in later years. ReLoad seemed to be a small attempt to return to the basic Metallica cause it's different than Load.

On the subject sorta: I'm trying to figure out why people are getting P/Oed at Metallica for altering their sound. I like it alot better than the 'thrash' days of kill'em. The other thing that I'm trying to understand is why Metallica? why not Anthrax or Slayer or Megadeth? All 4 master bands of the metal scene changed in the 90's but metallica got picked to be the bad band. Although Megadeth has been picked at for "pusin" out alittle they were not made into the bad guys like Metallica was. WHAT IS WRONG WITH CHANGE?

18. despite the lack of bass, "And Justice For All" is my favorite metallica cd. "One" and "To Live is to die" are freaking brilliant.

19. PeninaD

PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    PA
    Where did you get that from? It is very much untrue.
    Jason Newsted did the bass, but it is true that the bass was turned down, or perhaps, the drum, rhythm and lead guitars were turned UP. But is was Jason, NOT James.

P.S. Got back from SF a couple of days ago, actually met up with Lars who had an interesting thing to say about bass...the girl who was one of the two winners of the Launch Party bass contest (Elena Repetto of Imajika) on July 6th impressed him, called her a female Geezer Butler, then went on to say that if it came down to an equally skilled male and female bassist, Metallica would go with the woman just to say F.U. to the world.

20. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Not only that, but I was positive that Cliff was killed during the Puppets tour (1986) and Jason was expected to learn Big M's set-list in a matter of weeks. That means, he would have joined quite some time before Justice's release in 1988.

Heaven help me if I'm wrong.