Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica's bassists...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RideTheFretboard, Jan 2, 2001.

1. ...Are BOTH gods IMO. Cliff was an excellent fingerstyle bassist with great solos and damn fast. Jason is very solid and versatile (on Live Sh*t: San Diego he plays a slap solo!) People say Metallica have gone downhill since Cliff died, but I think that's just idolising him, Metallica are better overall now, and they're so different and it's to their credit. Long live Cliff, but Jason's just as cool and for those who prefer their heavier ****, I heard the next album will be as heavy as Black at least.

When Jason dies everyone'll idolise him just as much as Cliff.
    Any thoughts on this played-out topic?

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah, some good points. I am one of those who have idolized Cliff and have to tell you that the reason for that is because of his attitude, style and creativity. I dont always choose who my favorites are based soley on technical ability. Jason may be better in some ways and is definately more diverse, but he is so much more ordinary. Sorry but Cliff rules!

3. Sean

Sean

Dec 27, 2000
    Cliff is the best bassist of all time. I don't like Jason's style, I like Cliff's (fingered). I love Cliff's attitude too. here's a quote by James Hetfield "He'd always wear bellbottoms and every day we'd give him **** about it. He'd say "**** you, this is what I wear"

4. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    I think Cliff was "The Man", not only for his cunning attitude, but for the fact that he has inspired so many bass players to play "Bass"!

Boba Fretless likes this.
  5. Both are great bassists, but both had very different styles. Cliff was a bit more original in his stuff, he was a bit more innovative on his stuff than jason was. not to be makin fun of jason though, he is also a very talented bassist. the reason why he isnt accepted as well as burton is because his style of playing is opposite of cliffs, so he generally wasnt accepted then and that kinda just trudged on into now.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    ..well like, yeah, i was never really that impressed with Burton's playing OR his tone, for that matter. It never cut through enough and "Anesthesia" was terrible and only got good when Lars came in with the drums. Newsted is one of these pick-using bassists i keep hearing about, but he has a more suitable tone coming out of his Sadowsky - it fits Metallica's double-guitar edge a lot better than whatever the hell Burton was doing. You could barely hear the guy .. his solo on "Orion" is inaudible. Which is a damn shame, coz that thing is hard and very well written.
    one question though, who wrote the bass line to "My Friend Of Misery"? Was that Burton or Newsted?

7. Jason Newsted gets a co-writing credit in the Black Album for "My Friend Of Misery", so I assume it's his line.

I heard a story that on the Black Album tour they'd have the arpeggio riff from My Friend Of Misery playing from a tape, while Newsted played just the low A that comes in with the guitars to replicate the recorded version which I think has two basslines, - not a good idea as many people were still doubting Newsted's ability- apparently Newsted got booed at a UK gig for this.

8. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    Cliff was the man.... he stood out way more and he was more melodic and had more skill.... he could play as fast as Hammet and did:)~ His solos are amazing and had way more speed. Hit the lights HELLO 32 notes at like 140 tempo... insane! Newsted can barely play One, sometimes he doesnt do the fast part either..... and the fact that he uses is pick(pansy) IS JUST DUMB.... picking sucks in my opinion... not good, beefy tone!

9. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey hey hey. Im a big Metallica fan too, but come on get over it you have debated this enough now!!!

10. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah, lets get over it. I loved Cliff's ability to drive the whole band and do wierd counterpoints to riffs that generally seem like basic punk. He added a dimension to the old metallica songs that are undeniable. Jason may fit the new metallica songs better, but I like their old sound so much more than their current POP crap.

11. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I wish peaple would get over it cliffs gone i try to remember what he meant to Metallica, They miss him to if you watch a year and a half in the life video you'll here James say he misses him everyday. I like Jason and his playing and i know its not like Cliffs and never will be. What would it be like if he was the one in the accident and Cliff replaced him? We would all probley be saying the same thing about Cliff as peaple do about Jason. So i will always like Jason and remember Cliff.

12. I don't know about the rest of you...but i hate those whiners known as metallica. I think their music sux but the bassist is okay.

13. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    IMHO Cliff and jasom had diffrent styles, and people want jason to be like cliff, so the old school fans boo him for being himself.Personaly iI like Newsted better but thats just me.But all in all I think Metallica rules from start to finish.(still wish they would replace lars and keep Jason!)

14. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'am a long time fan of Metallica myself. I still love their music and appreciate their evolution (some will called it "cash-o-lution" but ..) but there's one thing I always regreted about their recordings : bass is, 80% of the time, barely audible.
    They had 2 good/great bassists and I feel that they never use all their potential.
    I saw em live 3 times and listening to bass lines was difficult, not as difficult as on records.

15. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    sucks for everybody that liked newstead considering hes out of the band

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Given the types of comments above, I cannot help but wonder what kind of reception the NEXT Metallica bassist (myself, I hope...LOL) will receive. Will s(he) have to endure all the inevitable comparisons to Burton and Newsted?

I also wonder if Hetfield and Ulrich won't try to find a bassist more like Burton, or if they will prefer one more like Newsted or if they will go for a bassist witha dramatically diferent style than the two previous bassists?

Here's a question. Didn't Metallica have a bass player before CLiff Burton? Seems like I read somehwere they did.

jason oldsted

17. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Cliff wasn't the first Metallica Bass player.
    THe first one was someone named Ron Govnor I think.
    But he wasn't good enough I guess.
    That was before the Kill'em All album, during the Mustain Era ;)

18. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    You know... i really think LEs Claypool should have made the band. But he's done a good job with Primus.

19. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    HAHAHAHAHA
    what?oh...so this wasn't a joke...alright then

how gullible can one be?you still listen to rumours like that??i'd like to listen to that first and then speak.anyway,they said that for Re-Load,which is a piece of crap IMO...and they also said that Fuel would be like Battery...YEAH RIGHT!

20. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    do to the official metallica site and read his quote idiot and it is not a rumor....... dummy.