Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica's new bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassGoddess28, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Just nosey.. What you all think about Metallica's new bassist??? (Or do you miss Jason) Personally.. I miss Jason!

2. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Personally, I have liked Rob since he played with Suicidal Tendoncies (yeah I can't spell) But to be honest I more interested to see Jason playing with Ozzy than I am to see Robert play with Metallica.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    rob trujillo rocks...i really loved his stuff with infectious grooves

4. I'm a Newstead fan so I'm more interested in seeing what Jason does with Ozzy once they get to recording a new album. It'll also be interesting to see how he handles pulling double duty with VoiVod and Ozzy on the upcoming Ozzfest.

As far as Robert Trujillio goes...I'm not sure if he'll actually add anything to Metallica or if he'll just be a body to play the music. Addmittedly I don't know much about him but I know bob rock did all the bass parts for the upcoming album...so it'll be interesting to see what he does when they tour.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Newsted.

;)

6. I said I was a fan...I never said anything about being able to spell or type correctly!

lol

7. i miss cliff:(

okay, so he died before i was born...that's not the point.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    rob trujillo is a _much_ better bassist than either of the 2 former bassists for metallica, imo. he's very tight and solid and has monstrous chops. i wonder if he's going to get a chance to reallly stretch out and shine or if he's going to get stiffled like newsted did.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    they'll prolly muff him out. newsted played some really cool stuff live...but yeah, trujillo is a real bad ass...

10. I think Trujillo's skills will be squandered playing with Metallica, they've never really allowed a bass player to shine with them.

Newsted with Ozzy should be interesting as the bass is much more integral to the sound with his music. Should be a good chance to show people that he can actually play.

11. I was 2 months old when he passed away.

12. Lars and Hetfield probably made Robert chop his thumb off so he wouldn't slap. :D

(I'll still always dig Metallica.)

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i doubt they would chop off his thumb...his playing with ozzy is pretty...ummmm....metal...not nearly as funk/groove oriented as his other stuff, but still in the pocket.

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    man, I'm goin to both Ozzfest and Summer Sanitarium.....oh man....cant wait!

so I'll see both, and hopefully will be able to comment on 'em.

yep.....that too.

15. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    So....

Raise your hand if you sent in audition material when you heard that Jason quit the band.

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    If Burton or Newsted DID have the same ability as Trujillo, how can you tell simply from their playing in Metallica?

Unfortunately, you can't...

17. Lars and James prolly chained Rob to them so he won't stow away like Jason did! (That's what Kirk said in an issue of Guitar World)

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Not entirely true. Cliff made that band when they were starting out. Newsted got stifled because he was "the new guy".... hell, Lars and James still treat Kirk like the new guy and he's been with them something like 17 years now.

I think they hired Bob Trujillo mostly becasue he has a reputation for being reliable and a good learner more than for his own chops. That's why he got the gig with Ozzy and ST. He really is a very versatile player.

I've no plans right now to see either Sanitarium or Ozzfest, but that could change-- I'm expecting Metallica to be very much a Lars and James show, regardless of how St. Anger comes out.

19. Ya, in "kill 'em all" and "Master of puppets" albems there was pretty good bass, and it came throught the guitars. "Ride the lightning" was not bad, there were some good bass solo's on that -even if u couldn't hear them:meh: .
    I wounder what the band would be like if Mustane didn't get booted out, they say it was his drinking problem but I think it is just that Hetfield and Ulrich are pushy basstards.

20. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I dont care for Metallica much these days(seen Cliff live) but I think Rob sounds great w/ them in those MTV Icon clips. Sure it's the Lars and James show but there seems to be a mutual respect between Rob and the rest of the band. Thats something Newsted never experienced.

*I'm really loving my new Stingray - Just got it today!*