Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster is out on DVD Tomorow

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 24, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Not a Metallica fan but I am a fan of feature length documentaries and I'm interested in seeing this.

brad cook

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's about time. I missed it while it was out - I will certainly rent this.

4. MAJOR METAL

5. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Good documentary.

It's an excellent movie for anyone in a band, Almost like a howTo on what not do do :smug:

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I didn't realise it was a documentary on the making of St Anger! :D :smug:

Actually I am dying to see this, I too missed it when it was on at the cinemas, I think I will buy it on DVD, i've got all the other Metallica ones (including the one with St Pooper).

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I like Metallica just as much as the next guy but, I agree with Newsted's comments in the movie basically saying that all the therapy and counseling was just stupid.

I went and saw the documentary when it was in the theatre. It was enjoyable, but I have zero respect for Ulrich after seeing how arrogant he is. He needs a swift kick in the head in my book.

Even though I think Metallica have turned into a money-making only enterprise...I'll probably pick up the DVD..if only because I was very impressed with the way Hetfield and Hammet represented themselves.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1

9. MAJOR METAL

I am looking foward to seeing the extra's.

10. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Yeah I'm deffinitly going to rent it and maybe buy it depending on how good it is.

11. MAJOR METAL

VH1 is going to have a preview tonight on the film, i am going to go get my copy in an hour. :hyper:

12. I went and saw it when it was out. It was a fantastic movie, i'd wtch it away. Not only because im a huge metallica fan, but I also find it interesting to watch how these famous bands write their music, it seems that nowadays metallica do it effortlessly (which explains the slight letdown of St. Anger :\)

13. MAJOR METAL

I got it for $20 from best buy and got a $5 gift card, the movie is great.

14. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    I think the documentry only further proves how far from reality these guys are. I think when you start jotting down words off the top of your head and sorting through the scribble to find anything "legible" is a sure sign that you might be past your prime and its time to put the guitar down, however i know that they will make money either way because they are Metallica, regardless of how uninspired and forced their songs will get, people will still buy it.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A must see for anyone who grew up listening to these guys. I got it today, great movie.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I rented it today. Quite facinating. Too bad I can't say the same for their current music.

I gained alot of respect for Rob Trujillo from this. He's the kind of guy I'd like to be friends with.

17. MAJOR METAL

Yeah Rob seems like a real cool guy and a very talented bassist.

18. MAJOR METAL

How did you like the deleated scenes DVD?

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I picked it up a couple days ago... I liked the deleted scene with the alternate cut of the Dave Mustaine/Lars conversation. Too bad James wasn't there. Really good movie, IMO.

20. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I agree that writing lyrics like that is a bad idea. Which would explain the (terrible) lines: ''Invisible kid / never see what he did / got stuck where he hid / fallen through the grid". I mean come on... you take the lyrics from "Invisible Kid" and put them beside something like "...And Justice For All" or "Master of Puppets" and there's just no comparison (IMO). That said, it is a good movie. :)

Graeme :bassist: