1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Meth Head in the front....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pgolliher, Aug 16, 2012.

1. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I played a gig last night and there was a dude high out of his mind right in front of us for half of the set. He was all up in our business while we were setting up telling us how he "just got out". While we were playinig he was yelling at the top of his lungs, freaking out, and flailing around wildly. I am so pissed- I play music to blow off steam and have fun. This guy's vibe had me on edge the entire time. I just watched him, waiting to see if he was going to do something to one of our friends and if I was going to have to smash my new bass over his head. He set the vibe off so much no one came near the front and security didn't do anything. Luckily, two of our friends had finally had enough and started to mosh and then they put him right into him into the wall. My guitar player and singer saw him getting arrested down the street right after we played, but I am still pissed. Normally after a gig on a worknight I am tired, a little hungover, but with a very happy and satisfied soul. Today, not so much. Rant over. Thanks.

2. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    This past weekend we played at a dive bar and the stage was really low. This dude won't leave us alone as we're setting up. Really annoying but whatever hes stoked to hear us. First song he keeps reaching up and slapping me in the shoulder super hard screaming "yeah man"! Im getting annoyed, but whatever. He hops up on stage about 5 times and accidentally steps on some of my pedals...Now I'm really mad...I ask someone to get a bouncer....bouncer shows up 10 minutes later after we have been forced to stop playing for about 5 minutes do to the fact that this dude has now grabbed a mic and is screaming into it....meth at its finest...the rest of the set just lost its magic for me as I was so agitated....people suck.

3. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Sounds like your beef is with the venue as much as the meth head. No security response why?

4. This is why I gig certain venues with beater basses. I put on my best hockey player face, and hold the instrument, as if ready to cross-check the offender. Thus far, bluster has worked, but there may come a day when I will render someone a bloody mess. Fortunately, I do not play such places that often. When I do, I sometimes bring a sign:

[​IMG]

Pug the Pig likes this.
  5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Heh.

Reminds me of a venue I used to play a few weekends a year with my previous band. Nice big room (500 capacity), beautiful dance floor, good acoustics but the regular clientele... yikes. They were... shall we say... "not healthy looking". In fact among the local musos the Friday night slot at this place was known as "Night of the Living Dead." Never had anyone go really whacked out on us there but there were people who were definitely on the ragged edge and who you really didn't want to say anything to or make eye contact with. Especially since the stage was only about a foot off the floor. We were in the regular rotation at this place for a couple years and it was the best paying venue we played but after every night we played there I'd go home tired, depressed and a little creeped out.

In those situations best you can hope for is a tall stage, a large and assertive security staff and separate entrance/egress for the band (stage door or the like), in case you need to beat a hasty retreat.

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    ^^ sounds like a scene from "Dusk to Dawn"

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    WARNING: meth heads are scarey & dangerous!!!

8. When I was younger I would help out with sound with a band a friend of mine was in. One night about ten minutes after I left to go to work at my other job, a guy whacked on PCP picked up a table from a booth and tossed it up on the stage while the band was up there. Did quite a bit of damage, including snapping the neck off of the singer's Les Paul.

BnB

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    We don't get many meth heads, but we get plenty of drunks. I usually get at least one really disgusting drunk lady trying to take me home. My girlfriend-who's also in the band- thinks it's hilarious. It's nice that she doesn't get jealous, but half the time she throws me under the bus for laughs.

10. We play in some dive bars but they are located on the better side of town. We get some really bad drunks but I never felt
    in personal danger. My rule is, if I can not take my wife to a venue because I would be worried about her safety, then I really don't want play there either.

BassCliff likes this.
  11. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Were the same but i play drums in this band & bass in another.
    When i was behind the kit we had a crazy madman dancing super close to the p/a speakers.The bad thing was we had 2 sets of speakers doubled up on each side of the stage so we could see them wobbling & then falling face first to the ground around the 3 song first set.
    Our bass player took the bass off & went to kill this guy.He pushed him lucky bouncers got him & kicked him in the butt & the way out, the show went on.

12. Sounds like a typical night for the music scene in my city

13. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    I like her sense of humor.

:D

14. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    dude obviously your in the WRONG line of work or hobby! musicians need to learn how to deal with those distractions , unfortunately its just part of it! Sometimes you get a perfect behaved crowd / sometimes you don't. Just take it as a learning experience.

15. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Take her home one night. That would be good for a laugh at the next gig.

bkbirge and Pug the Pig like this.
  16. Certainly not a record, but an honorable mention reviving a five year old thread! :D

BassCliff and Anachronism like this.
  17. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    D’oh. You think I’d learn to check those dates first...

Renaissance likes this.
  18. Yes but we are constantly reminded to do a search first, this or that has already been posted here, here and here, etc.
    So, reviving an old thread is fine. At least he didn't start another Dad Band thread

BTW, they've been warning people about speed since the 1960's
    Todays meth is just a smokable version of yesterdays crystal, crack, speed, bennys, whites, methadrine, black beauties, etc.

Canned Heat 1968

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Renaissance likes this.
  19. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    There's a lot to be said for playing behind a mesh fence..