method for beginner

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mulo, Sep 1, 2003.

1. mulo

Sep 1, 2003
    Hi i'am new here , i want a advice for bass method for beginner , with all basic ( especially the blues scale in Tablature )

happy to find this place :)

2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Not sure if you mean you're looking for a book or what...but...anyway...

My advice for a beginner is always to get a teacher. :) Now that I've said that what do you already know? Do you know basic things like proper positioning, basic right and left hand technique, the names of the open strings (and maybe even all the notes on the fretboard), major scales, etc.? That would help with knowing what you may need to work on and where to advance to next.

As for the blues scales you can easily learn them without the need for tablature (IMO you are better off in the long run without tabs.).

The Blues Scale is made up of the 1, b3, 4, b5 (#4), 5, and b7 notes of the major scales (b = flat and # = sharp), by the way).

C Blues Scale:
    C Eb F F# G Bb C

A Blues Scale:
    A C D D# E G A

Try practicing these scales daily (C Blues Scale, G, D, A, E, B (Cb), F# (Gb), C# (Db), Ab, Eb, Bb, F) ascending and descending. Get the sound of them in your head. I'm sure you will also find that with these scales there is a moveable pattern that you can play anywhere on the fretboard.

Hope this helps

PS: Welcome to Talkbass :)
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ah, I just realized I may have a book with what you're looking for regarding the Blues Scales:

It's called "Bass Guitar Scale Manual" by Harvey Vinson (I think I may have gotten it through Musician's Friend). There is a section on Blues Scales. It may not be the best book in the world (the tabs above the actual notation can get quite annoying), but there is like 15 pages just on the Blues Scales and gives you some nice progressions to learn. And I'm sure you will like the diagrams as well.
  4. mulo

Sep 1, 2003
    Hi , Thank's for you reply , yes what i asked was a book method for beginner , my level is real beginner , i don't understand explanation to play blues scale :(
    i really need to learn some , btw when i see what you wrote that make me confirm that the word tablature ( if what you wrote is a tablature ) mean 2 diferent things , one is the way you explain to me the blues scale and the others is what i knew when i play a Little bass in the past , that was something like that

you see the 4 string of the bass and the number tell you where you have to play

5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse you. No, what I wrote wasn't tablature. I showed you 2 examples of Blues Scales: the C Blues Scale and the A Blues Scales; underneath each were the notes contained in the scales.

I think one thing that will help you greatly is to learn all the notes on the fretboard. Tabs will just show you where to put your fingers, but knowing your notes and developing your ear will take you much further IMO.

As for method books, I snagged this from the Talkbass FAQ :) :

Long before I even started playing bass I bought a book (uncreatively LOL) called "How To Play Bass Guitar" by Arnie Berle. This started me off well the first 2 months or so before I was able to start lessons. The first things it showed in the book were Right and Left-Hand Technique, Basic Music Theory (which included showing the letter names for the lines and spaces on the staff), open string studies etc. This is basic stuff. Then when I started taking lessons I got the book "Deluxe Jazz & Rock Bass Method" by Vincent Bredice. Again, this started with the simple stuff (then of course advanced greatly as I went along). Since you are a true beginner, you want to find a book that begins with the basics.
  6. mulo

Sep 1, 2003
    Thank's for you reply ;)
  7. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    That books really good isnt it! I got it (well borroewed) from my grandad a year or two back, he gave it to a friend as a bday gift in 1986 and it worked its way back to him.

Back to the questioin, check out "Bass for beginners by Glenn Letsch - Hal Leonard - ISBN: 0-7935-6649-5 " thats the first book I ever got and its got some good stuff in it, includuing the blues scales as requested :)