Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Method of recording?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FrolicHoek, Mar 25, 2002.

1. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I have recorded three CDs. The first we did straight by speaker and mic (bad idea, but was a young punk who didn't know better), second was done through a straight pre-amp, and the third was done with a direct box and a sansamp, each run to a different track. Although the CD isn't done yet (3rd one), I am anxious to hear what that will sound like.

What recording method has worked best for you, as far as sound and versitility with different options?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I always go direct, with a little compression and BBE processing sometimes.
    I mostly add some EQ and compression in Cubase or Nuendo.

Using a mic is too expensive and awkward for home recording IMO. I like the true and clean DI sound, if I want to add some grit I add in later in an audio sequencer, which has the advantage that it's non-destructive, which means I can always remove it if I don't like it - without having to rerecord.

3. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Ok, settle a bet...

Is it pronounced en-yooendo or new-endo?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    New-endo

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I go direct and mic a cab. Then I ,ix and match, using small amounts of eq and compression. New-endo it is.