Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Methods for sneaking new equipment into the house?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Many of us must suffer the indignity of having to "sneak" new basses, amps, etc., into the house, undetected by the snooping wife or husband. Anyone have any good methods or stories?

I know of a guy who will take an empty case out to his car, making sure the wife sees him on his way out. When she inquires, he tells her that he's just "taking the bass to the garage for some maintenance". Once he gets to his car, he puts his new bass in the empty case, waits a bit, and then goes back inside with his new booty.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    This thread is a recipe for divorce.

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Easy. You buy new bass, give it to buddy. You go home. He shows up an hour or so later with your bass. "Hey man, thanks for letting me borrow this. I'll do the same for you sometime."

My dad taught me this. :D

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I think I will enjoy this thread

lol

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Most of my workhorse basses, purely by accident, are sunburst or black with maple necks. My wife can't tell them apart, really.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's my method: Be honest with your wife. :scowl:

xyllion hit the nail on the head. This kind of dishonesty either leads to problems or divorce or is a symptom of a larger problem in the marriage. I would love to go out and buy 5 new guns and a few basses and my wife would love to go out and buy a whole lotta stuff too but we are financially responsible and accountable to each other. It makes for a great relationship.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd also like to add that if one's spouse is a nagger who jumps all over your case for anything new that you buy then that's also a problem.

brad cook

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't hide anything I buy. It WILL blow up in your face!!!!!

My wife knew I was a compulsive gear nut before we were married & even though I tired to slow it down, there is always a new bass coming in or out of the house. I try to sell something to buy something new so it kinda evens out.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll fall right in line with the honesty thing. My Mrs' helps pick them out. :bassist: She likes me to have things I like :smug:

I can't imagine living life with a woman that you cannot share your passions with

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I can sneak pedals and little electronics tools and gizmos by, but instruments or amps... yeah that's a little tougher!

She knows I want another bass though, in fact I've been asking her preference of finishes (she likes transluscent green on swamp ash, or natural walnut.)

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Day after day I'm faced with more and more reasons not to get married.

12. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    My wife and I do a seesaw thing. She sometimes gets a longing for something high dollar (Her last was a new dining room table) and I suggest that she go get it immediately, ask her if I can help her get it home etc... She then has the same attitude with me. I'll say something like "Man this bass is just starting to sound tired." and she'll suggest maybe I need to consider a new one. We NEVER argue with these suggestions to each other. As long as we don't go nuts and show up with a new car without some prior discussion, it's the perfect relationship and neither of us asks how much the other one spent.

Me Her
    :bassist: :hyper:

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh...my wife believes in buying the best, and living well, within a context of keeping it simple and real. She saw me playing a nice custom bass, asked if I wanted one made, and it was done. I bought an EUB, gigged it a couple months later, she says: "you're getting pretty good on that thing, what kind of amp would make it sound better?"

But, I have a general rule of getting rid of something to match most new acquistions. My tiny house is self-limiting, probably a good thing. I never buy on long term credit either, which makes for a huge difference in attitude, I believe.

I can't imagine living life with a woman that you cannot share your passions with.

Right on, James.

14. For the love of god, do people around here have no sense of humor? Instead of telling him how his morals are wrong and SURELY this will lead to a divorce, add in some light humor, or your own experience, or don't post! It's that simple.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My last bass was a 1975 Ibanez Black Eagle I had a Guitar Center in Chicago ship to the Miami GC I worked at through our internal shipping system.

I just went to work with an old empty case and came home with the bass in that case. I waited a month and a half or so and then I showed it to her and told her Ive had it for a while.

Of course, this is my mom. :D

Most of the time I just tell my parents Im buying one with money Ive saved from work or selling other gear. They have little problem with it since I dont ask them for much. I live in the dorms without a TV, microwave, car, and I dont have much clothes... much of it is from the thrift shop or the back of my dad's closet.

How do you explain to the girlfriend that you cant pay $35 for the bus trip to visit her even though you are buying a new bass?

Hell if I know! Thats why Im single. ;)

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    *Brad talking to the missus*

"Err... Honey, don't go into the left half of the house. Or the garage. Or the basement. Or.. uhh.. you know what? Just stay in the kitchen, and the hallway from there to the bedroom. Yeah, that's the ticket... Why? Oh, because, umm... rats. Yeah, big, fat, cat sized rats. They'll bite your foot off!"

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Invite a bass/guitar buddy over for a jam, have him/her carry down the booty!

Or use the I am just borrowing this from so and so!

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    :)Buy Bass=buy jewelry
    Buy Amp or effect= buy clothes
    simple....:)

20. tango6

tango6 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    We both work. my wife and I have separate banking, separate credit cards, etc. I pay all the bills and what's left, I get to keep. Moral of story? Separate banking= separate toys

Besides, any woman that would threaten to leave ya over some toys, ought to.