1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Methuen's Best Kept Secret

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Wil Davis, Oct 18, 2006.

1. FYI -

I headed over to the Sahara Jazz Club (Methuen, MA - see title), and saw and heard Donna Byrne with the Marshall Wood Quartet (Marshall Wood (double-bass), Marty Ballou (double-bass), Tim Ray (piano), Les Harris Jr. (drums)).

Yes, two double-basses - amazing; you would think that they would get in each other's way, but tonight's performance was first-class; the way the basses blended together and the interaction between the players was simply masterful!

The singing was fabulous; the arrangements were terrific, and the music was wonderful. The sound was excellent, and everyone in the capacity audience seemed to appreciate the splendid entertainment.

My only complaint was that I was sitting directly under an air-conditioning outlet, and by the second set I was starting to get chilled, so I stood for the remainder of the evening, out of the stream of cold air.

I must point out that I'm in no way connected to the management of the Sahara, but too often music lovers think you have to travel to Boston or New York to experience class acts - nothing could be further from the truth - the performances are out there, you just have to know where to look (or listen…)

- Wil

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yo Will, is the Sahara a chain now? :)

And what was the AC doing on in the middle of October in a rainstorm?

Let me know if they will be doing that gig again, I've never seen Marshall but know Marty and it sounds like it would be great even though I'm allergic to jazz singers :smug:

3. Same name, same regional food but totally different entity. I think the AC was just blowing air; nice in the summer, but not in mid-October. Here's the link so you can check what's going on. I'm quite familiar with Marshall's work, but last night was the first time I'd heard Marty - man, what a bassist's treat! Definitely one of the best evenings I'd spent there!

Yep, I know what you mean about singers, but Donna really is something else; she did a version of "Willow Weep For Me" accompanied by just the bass, which was to die for!

- Wil

4. Well, you know I have missed these guys a couple of times and all I can say is it doesn't get any better then this.
    I know all these artist's well [played w.all of them and they are friends and great musicians who work very hard at their craft.]
    When Marshall goes out to play ,you know that it will be a special night and I know both of the basses well too.Marty is to me the best doubler in the business,he Rocks and plays great R and B,and despite some hand problems has mantained a very high level on the Double Bass.I'm sure this duo is tight and musical because their friendship and musical integrity is part of who they are as human beings.
    I hate to say I was out on a gig that night, because I wanted to see this one... Was the duo w. Donna just one bass or two? Marshall is a clever arranger.....