Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Methylated Spirits = Denatured Alcohol???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Geej, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I searched the forums and couldnt really get a direct answer, so a little help?

I decided to try the denatured alcohol + PVC pipe method today... I went to the local hardware, and couldnt find anything specifically called "denatured alcohol"

Perhaps this is an American term? (Im Australian)
    The closest thing I found to fitting the description of this substance is white methylated spirits which is 95% ethanol...

IS IT THE SAME THING?
    Or... is it good enough to use? (btw... im already soaking my strings in it so please dont say no :p )

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, any low-MW alcohol will work fine. "Denatured", here in the states, usually does involve a little methanol. But there might be other stuff in there too. Not exactly sure what it might mean Down Under. But there's other stuff that'll work too, like toluene and so on. Alcohol is good 'cause it's relatively harmless. Plus if you get the Everclear, you can always drink it when you're done. :D

3. and die lol

4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's just a little dirt, right? :D

You probably get more when you're eating spinach.

Unless you're diligent enough to wash it "thoroughly".

Most people I know, aren't. That would probably include myself, and my wife, and my mom. We usually don't have the time for that kind of thing. :D

Besides, the ethanol is probably going to kill any germs that might be in there, right? :D:D:D

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's not the dirt... it's the pure alcohol. Undiluted, it's poisonous stuff.

Wulf

6. MAN, that works great... I was a bit hesitant, because i thought it might wreck the strings, so I used an old set (not my current set - they are old too) these ones were the original ones i got on my guitar, I dont know why i kept them, they are about a year old... I put them in for 2 hours, and even though there was still some junk in the little rivets... they sounded great... and i hate to use the phrase... but they sounded just like new!!

I compared them with the newer strings, u can definetly see a big colour difference where obviously a lot of oils were dissolved...

This by far exeeded my expectations and imma do it again and again :D

BY THE WAY drinking it afterwards ... not such a great idea nons... first, its not a great taste and I was vomitting so much i spent the last 5 hours in the emergency room....

LOL just kidding...

But the string thing works amazingly well, and perchance if someone reads this who hasnt tried it yet... TRY IT TRY IT TRY IT TRY IT... and also, lost dog goes by the name of giraffe, looks like the mir spacestation... any info call : 1800 i dont have any dog

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Try a #4 coffee filter. Works like a charm. :D

And then there's always the orange juice, that you can use to dilute the spirits a little. I wouldn't want to drink raw Everclear, but with a little OJ you can't even taste it.

You'll think you're having breakfast, and then all of a sudden...

Surprise, surprise. :D:D:D

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Alcohol is actually poisonous , diluted or not. Your body can only metabolize and neutralize so much at a time, so everclear is a LARGE amount of alcohol to be ingesting at once. It is more dangerous because of the sheer amount of alcohol you get at a time. This can overload the system, and we all know what happens then. If you are lucky enough not to pass out, you'll puke for hours. If you go too far, death is possible. So be careful with that stuff!!

9. Originally Posted by nonsqtr
    Yes, any low-MW alcohol will work fine. "Denatured", here in the states, usually does involve a little methanol. But there might be other stuff in there too. Not exactly sure what it might mean Down Under. But there's other stuff that'll work too, like toluene and so on. Alcohol is good 'cause it's relatively harmless. Plus if you get the Everclear, you can always drink it when you're done .

and die lol

i dont know why, but this is the single most halairous thing i have ever read, i think i actually made me pee a little

10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, absolutely. I want to make it very clear that I'm just being cynical and facetious. "Don't try this at home". :D

11. its just tooo funny, im at work and cant stop laughing, just picturing the way he says "and die"

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    He's right though. Alcohol is a killer. Can be, anyway.

It's almost "not funny", if you think about it. Hilarious, but not funny.

Emphatically: "Don't try this at home". :)

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    But work's still okey-dokie, right? :D

14. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Work can be a killer too. Trust me on that one. :D

There's a whole interesting train of thought around the "work ethic", and what it means, and its ultimate long-term effects.

But that doesn't change the idea that alcohol is poison.

Except for bass strings of course. :D

15. RedVette

RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    Methylated spirits is probably about the same as "denatured" alchohol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol (the kind in vodka) that has been rendered un-drinkable by adding poisons to it. That way it is sold as a solvent without the liquor tax applied.

If they sell methylated spirits as the thinner for shellac, then it is probably "poisoned" ethanol, which is what you want for cleaning strings. Another choice is isopropyl alcohol which is sold as "rubbing alcohol" in the US. It is what they rub you with prior to an injection. Isopropyl is generally much more expensive at retail as it is usually sold in pints while denatured ethanol is sold in gallons.

16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'm about to go one step further and try methanol 99.8% (we call it "alcohol de quemar" here in Spain, the best translation would be "alcohol for burning" used for these little fire heaters they use in laboratories for heating up substances in test tubes and stuff, also it's used for starting barbacue fires). It's also a well known de-greaser widely used by housewives for cleaning all kinds of surfaces (mostly glass and metallic ones). I'll compare (already work with ethanol) and get back to you with results.

ANDRUCA

17. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Excellent, I'd like to hear about that. Some people I know use kerosene, which tends to be a bit of a problem 'cause there's so much other stuff mixed in with it (usually). Toluene works well, if you can stand the smell. :)

18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think the difference is that kerosene comes from petrol and so it is and oily substance which, although having cleaning properties, it may be hard to take off the strings after soaking (just suposing). There are some cleaning detergents that contain toluene but I didn't know you could get it pure so I don't know if it is oily or it is more like alcohol. I'm affraid the most important problem with toluene is not its smell but its strong "dopping" properties when inhaled :). In fact that's why it was took out of most contact glues a few years ago (kids used it as a cheap alternative to hallucinogens). I can testify as I had an absolutely horrid "trip" once when I decided to install some carpet myself at our rehearsal place :(.

ANDRUCA

19. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    By the way, nonsqtr, we keep running into each other in several threads! It's always nice to share ideas, concepts and experiences with you!

ANDRUCA

20. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    By the way, I'm in Spain and so, it's 12PM here but, isn't it 3 or 4 in the morning there in CA? Don't you ever sleep? :):):)

ANDRUCA