metric parts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by spaceman, Dec 13, 2002.

1. I have a Yamaha RBX bass. The parts on it appear to be mainly metric sized.

However, when I look at most places which sell bass parts (e.g. stewmac) the parts appear to be in English (aka Imperial) dimensions.

Are there any places that sell metric sized parts? (I believe this is more than just a matter of converting the units!)

2. In my experience all parts are done in basically imperial units. A lot of places will have it converted already, which allparts do, so 1.5 inchs = 38mm for a jazz topnut for example. I have looked at various manufacturers parts and they always seem to be imperial based. This includes schaller, gotoh, ABM, Hipshot, Leo Quan, Grover and many others. If you try converting a few of your measurements i would be surprised if they did not convert nicely, but i may be wrong, i have no experience of Yamaha basses. I personally tend to use Allparts and WD products for ordering components and they are allways very helpful. Maybe you could try calling them up with your requirements and see if they can suggest anything? Just an idea.
    Good Luck H
  3. Hmmm... not sure that I'm convinced that my bass is really made in "English" units! The nut looks like it's exactly 40mm across. Also, to adjust the saddle height I have to use a metric Allen wrench.

Also to disconnect the tone and volume controls a metric wrench fit best. (For the 1/4" jack a non-metric wrench works best of course!)
  4. I understand exactly where you are coming from, but having reviewed many suppliers catalogues i always find dimensions in inches. For example I recently purchased a ABM height adjustable top nut from Pincotts (the UK allparts distributor) and when I measure it with vernier calipers it looks to me to be exactly 40mm, but in the catalogue it is listed as 1-9/16" which converts to 39.7mm, but i could not measure that accurately and you have to take into account manufacturing tolerances. The bolts and fixings i can very easily believe are metric, as they are (in my experience) easier to get, but that doesn't mean that the hardware has not been designed using imperial units. Its an annoying one I know, and as i said before you may very well be right, but i have looked through all the suppliers i am aware of and they all use imperial units.
    Regards H.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What kind of parts do you want?
    If you need fasteners and such, there's no problem, just buy them at the hardware store. NEVER at the guiter suppliers! Much too expensive.
    If you need guitar parts, yuo won't have them in metric sizes in the catalogues of the US or UK companies. They fail to understand that the parts they buy from Europe and Japan are in metrics, and convert it to the nearest fraction of an inch. However, european mainland made parts are all in metrics. About half of the parts manufactured in Japan are metric. Mainland Asia as well.

Good luck to you....:rolleyes:

Metrics are coming - inch by inch!
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Right. Schaller and ABM are both German products, I believe. They both adjust with a 1.5mm hex wrench.