Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

metrnone exercises for hitt 16th notes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by No_Fingures, Mar 8, 2003.

1. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    I was wondeirn if any knew any simple exercises i could so so i could hit thoses (Es), (ands), and (A.)s accuratly when making lines. I aint really lookin to be able to put out a thousand notes per minutes but to maybe like start my line like 16th note earl or late just to add some interest and tension

2. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Tap the quarter note and sing(say)the 16ths,use bah or tah,etc.example tahtahtahtah,tahtahtahtah...insert rests,syncopations...you have to have the pulse inside...if you can't sing it you can't play it.

3. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    You might try this:

make shure you have an electric metronome. set the tempo at 70 bpm.With your frett board had,slightly mute the string.pluck the string on every Metronome click.Get so you can match you muted sound to the click.do this for a good ten minutes.Then try inserting the eighth note in betwen the clicks.so now you have : click & click & going on.Get it to sound even.after another 10 minutes of non stop eighths,doble up on the plucking. ; click e and uh click e and uh. Do this as long as you can until it starts to feel natural.Do this on each open string. Vary the tempo on the Metronome.
    This will deveolpe an even stream of 16ths. You can try accenting each of the 4 16ths per click-

4. What I do:

Set it at a pace you can handle, say 100 bpm.

TICK-----TICK-----TICK

Now, hit the notes in unison with the metro.

BUM-----BUM-----BUM

Now, do 8th notes, with is like this:

TICK----------TICK-----TICK
    BUM-BUM-BUM-BUM-BUM

Then, go up to 16th notes:

TICK----------------TICK---------------TICK
    BUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUM

Voila.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"When the Saints come marching in" as a 16th note funk groove!! ;)

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thats some good advice there, i ight use that myself ;)

Oh yeah, if we put that up on the newbies FAQ, would that achieve anything?

7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    if you work with the click,your 16ths and thirtysecond notes will be even.Check out "Haleakala" at MP3.com/Garry_Goodman
    eight,16th and 32nd and 64th are all the same when evenly played .32nd note at 120 bpm are 16ths at 240-