Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metro happiness!!! WOHOO!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jul 19, 2004.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Got it today.
    Sadowsky Metro RV5
    5 string in Olympic White, rosewood fingerboard, tortious pickguard.
    # M111

My oh freakin my is it nice.
    Will do the side by side with my NYC 5 tonight.

2. Ooh, gotta love white. Post some pics if you can!

3. Ooo, do tell! I've got one on order just like yours except for a natural finish, and it's always nice to have your bad hab... er, decisions confirmed by others.

Mike

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sweet! great color combo! Congrats!!! :bassist:

5. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Ohhhh.......nicey nicey nicey!!!!

The guys at LowDownSound were real good to deal with, so I gotta give them props (www.lowdownsound.com).
    BTW, they have a natural ash with maple fingerboard Metro 5 in today as well.

I'll get pics up in a day or so.

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Please give a detailed review. I talked to a Sadowsky dealer that had both NYC and Metro basses and he said the two basses were indeed different. He also stated that both models are worthy of the asking prices.

JB

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i've been e-talking to Roger about a Metro MV5 in natural and maple. I am so intrigued by the good response on these. I think i might have to check one out....

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

A Sadowsky dealer that says the basses are worth the money? You don't say. ;)

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    GET ONE! Your review would be worth its weight in gold! :hyper:

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Jared, i dont think he did say, i think what he said was, they are worth their asking price, respectively. This is a question I was asked a lot when the Lakland Skylines came out.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    man, i dunno know about that! i am not sure my opinion is worth in dung! :eek:
    But all the rave reviews, I wish i could try one out. One thing for sure, Roger Sadowsky IS the class act everyone says he is!

12. I taught him well over the years.

:bag:

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Jim, one of the reasons for my curiosity is i loved the tone on your clips at cdbaby...
    i think everone at tb should start a " lets get a Sadowsky in Adrian's hands " fund. It would be such a humanitarian gesture...

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Are you sure its not the other way around? ;)

Id love to check one out sometime. From what I hear, its something Id buy if I had the $.

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Different how? Not saying that you should answer for him.
    Just curious as thus far my Metro is different as the woods are a major factor (my Metro is alder body with rosewood fingerboard and my NYC is ash body/maple top with maple fingerboard), but man, I gotta say this Metro is killing me. It's WAY worthy of the Sadowsky name sake, not as a cousin but a sibling. It really is that good.
    Also the Metro has the hum cancling pick-ups and my NYC has standard single coils.
    So yes they are (I guess) "indeed different" like two Sadowsky's with these different combos would be. But it's scarry how nice this thing is.
    And again, the Skyline stuff is sweet for the money, but it isn't near the quality of the Metro. I understand the need to compare like this, but it isn't an even comparrison.

I have to goto Chicago tomorrow and when I get back I'll throw up a more detailed review.

Actually check this thread out (if you didn't already). I agree with alot of it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134946
    Don't know as of yet if the neck/fret job is "better" than my NYC, but it isn't any worse!!

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hi, Mike - i didnt mean to imply that the Skyline should be compared to the Metro. Just that they also looked like their USA counterparts and people wanted to know, more than anything else, if the Skylines are that close the the US Laklands, why pay almost twice as much for a US bass.
    i KNOW i cannot afford a US Sadowsky, the Metro is likely as close as i may get to owning a Sad...

17. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Sorry Adrian if I sound like a jerk. I really didn't mean too!
    (hugs for all!)
    Anyway, I've been noticing the Metro/Skyline around here lately and am doing my part to kinda squash it. Not saying that comparrisons are not just, but when they compare mass produced basses to hand made ones as tho they were equal (ie: the G&L Tribute vs the Skyline vs the Metro), well.....c'mon now :eyebrow:

BTW, I sent you an e-mail reguarding an F-Bass BNF 5 a while ago. Just curious on price. Standard BNF 5 (with pre-amp) in trans blue. You do still sell F Basses right?

18. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    congrats on the bass! they ARE indeed great basses. I am selling mine only because I have GAS for something else ("imagine that", anyone who knows me would say...lately I've been buying and selling basses the way people in the lately 60's switched sex partners)...and my cousin is going to hook me up with one of his NYC Sadowsky basses in a few months

the nice thing for me is, if no-one wants to buy my Metro, I am out only the possibility (for now) of getting the bass I am GAS'ing over and I am stuck with a really great bass in the Sadowsky Metro. not a bad "worst case scenario"

and yep, Roger is a class act. I thought there was something wrong with my Metro that turned out to be a mere set-up issue, and Roger took all kinds of time to talk me through it

there ARE differences, I think in the two lines. they aren't identical. I think they are comperable in quality. I don't see how one can expect a $2000 instrument made by the exact same manufacturer to be AS GOOD as a $3000 instrument though, really...I mean hey that wouldn't make sense

I think the guy who makes the Metros is a genius and I think Roger is one of the pre-eminent bass-making geniuses of all-times, certainly one of the top 5 (in my opinion) of all-time and alive today....if price was the same or cost was no issue and you had a gig in a few weeks in Madison Square Garden and your bass needed a great set-up would you send it to Roger or the guy in Tokyo?

the Metro basses are really great basses. I can only base my comparison on this one Metro and the 3 or 4 NYC models: this one has a little more prominent low-mid character to it, it has better finish that the NYC, it has a *slightly* less quality set-up and build quality than the NYC. (ever so slightly) It has the EXACT same electronics and hard-ware as the NYC

by saying that the build quality and set-up is *slightly* worse than the NYC basses I have played, I mean ever so slightly worse. It still smokes every single Fender bass I've ever played (and that would be several dozen/maybe a few hundred Fender basses) and is very much comperable to Mike Lull basses and Elrick basses that I have played. In other words its a killer bass, just not *QUITE* as nice as the NYC basses I've played

just my opinion/feedback bases solely on my perceptions which could be flawed...would I buy another one? absolutely...will I be more likely to save up the extra $$$ and get a new NYC or a used NYC? yep

19. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Of course I can't answer for him, but from the tone of his voice, he implied that the NYC is a better instrument. [As it should be for $1000 more].
    I hope I didn't rile the TalkBass "speculation" police. :bag:

I think that most players are beyond that anyway. The published differences (e.g. wood selection, graphite, head thickness, Roger's personal touch) IMO suggest the NYC is a better quality bass. The next question: "Is the Metro the best jazz bass in its price range?" Can it take on the USA Lakland, Lulls, and custom Fenders.

JB

20. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the *BEST*? thats a matter of opinion. It certainly can compete with those in that price range and its better than every Custom Fender I've played..... there are a LOT of great basses in that price range (Benevente Vortex, Stambaugh, Eshenbaugh, Mike Lull, Fender Custom Shop, Brubaker etc etc). Does the Metro smoke all those basses? absolutely not... is it competitive and comperable to those basses? yep, absolutely. It comes down to taste and opinion of the the individual bass player