1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metro HPJ owners. How do you like 'em?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric426, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I've had an RV4 for several years that I really like and have been trying to find a P style bass that I like as much. The cheaper alternatives just haven't done it for me, so I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an RV4-HPJ and be done with it. Before I do though, I'd just like to hear some feedback from people who've owned them for a while.
    So, what do you think of 'em?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Mine isn't an HPJ, it's an NYC P/J V4 (alder/brazilian rosewood). I love it. Kevin at Sadowsky might be able to compare the HPJ to the other PJs they have produced. All I can say is that mine is totally amazing, tonewise.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Mine, like Jim's, is a NYC PJ with a jazz body. Tonewise, the PJ combo is the most versatile (IMO). I think that the body shape is more a cuestion of how it fits your own body.

Ed Friedland has reviewed a HPJ on the bassemporium website. Lots of clips and photos available there.

4. I played a few of the hybrid P/J basses at the shop in Brooklyn and I was really, really impressed. Not to dissuade you from checking out Ed's great reviews, but the sound of the hybrid is better heard in person. I hate to sound like a fanboy, but they really nail both the P and J thing.

If I did not have an NYC on deposit at the time, I would have picked one of those up easily.

5. squish

squish Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    I LOVE MY SADOWSKY P BASS

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Well Ive said it before and I'll say it again. My Hybrid kills!! I would have no problem having this as my only bass. Great P tone, cool tone with both pickups on, awesome when panned to the bridge. Very smooth and punchy with the Sadowsky humcancelling set. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a two nighter with it and one of my NYC's. Kinda liked the metro better for that venue and stage. Just smoked!!

Mine is ash body, maple board, 3 color burst. Light for a metro, 8.5lbs. Dont hesitate.

Rob

M1802.