Metro MV5 / JO Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fcoda, Aug 25, 2004.

1. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Our main is a MMSR5 - we want to add a jbass , we don't like the B on the fender J5 . The Metro mv5 was my next thought , my son suggested the JO Skyline . My question ? - are they equal in build and tonal quality. We are looking for that classic jbass sound .
  2. I can't help you on the fiver's but I own both Lakland USA Joe Osborn Passive and Sadowsky NYC PJ4. Both these basses are built to the hilt with pure love and understanding of fine craftmanship and both Lakland and Sadowsky are top of the heap for customer serivce. I have not played any Metros but have played quite a few Skylines being I'm very close to the Lakland shop and have know them for years. The Skylines are very nice and less expensive but of course I prefer, and was able to afford the USA and NYC basses. I would say they both nail the classic J bass sound in their own way. The Lakland USA is probably more so designed off the classic Fender than the Sad though. And again the Lakland is less expensive. The Sad is more of the custom "Super Fender" style than the Lakland which was designed from Mr. Joe Osborn's Fender Jazz Bass. I know that for sure because I held that bass in my hands. It recorded over 200 hits through the years. Tough choice I'm sure either one would be fantastic for you.
  3. Also the Lakland fiver's are 35" scale were all of the Sads are 34" and may make a difference to you. Both B strings are great. I never played a Sad 5 but owned a Lakland 55-94 very good B but the 35" scale finally got to me and my smaller stature.
  4. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Is the JO Skyline passive or is it avail with eq .
  5. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

I own both a Metro 5 and a Skyline JO5 and think both are very fine basses. IMO, the JO5 gets the vintage Fender vibe a little better than the Metro but the Metro clearly gets the modern tone down over the JO5.

In it's stock form, the JO5 is all passive but if you want to supe it up a bit, a J-Retro drops in nicely. Bass Central advertises that you can order a JO with this option.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either bass.

6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I think you can also get them with Aguilar or Bartolini preamps installed.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Both are wonderful. I own 3 Sadowsky's so its obvious my answer. I'd favor the Sadowsky for the preamp alone. You can also run it passive if you like. My metro is 99% as good as my 2 NYC Sad's.

8. the JO comes standard as a passive, but it is available with a J retro preamp factory installed. I think the JO plays really nice and all the ones I've played have had great build quality and really nail the 60's fender jazz tone and vibe.

the sadowsky is a sadowsky, it is a better bass in my opinion but if all you want is a nice passive jazz bass I'd say you would be just as happy with the JO and save yourself $1000
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The 35" scale of the JO versus Sadowsky 34" scale length makes the Lakland a bit more challenging to handle.

I broke a string on my F Bass (34.5" scale) last night at the gig. So I switched to my Modulus Quantum 5 (35" scale). The difference in feel, reach and string tension was very noticable. I switched strings on break and went back to the F Bass. I am noticing the 35" scale is slighlty more challenging. Not bad by any stretch, but by comparison, I prefer the shorter scale length.

This leads me to believe that the Sadowsky 34" scale length is more user friendly. Conjecture, but an educated guess. Both the Laklands and Sadowsky's are known to posses wonderful B string performance. Just thought I'd offer my .02 worth. Hope you got your money's worth. - Gary
  10. ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Just got my Metro RV5 today. I went ahead and opted for the Vintage Tone Control option, great option. I've played both a JO Skyline and now my Metro and it isn't ever close. The Sadowsky is in another league. The fit, finish, and sound are par with a Lakland USA while costing much less. I think the boys in Tokyo are gonna be busy fellows in the months to come, mark my words...

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    this sounds similar to some experiences ive had except i attributed it more to the way the bass hangs than the scale. the f bass has a longer upper horn which makes it so your left arm doesnt reach as much for first position. ive played 34 inch scale basses that have the shorter upper horn that hang oddly and thus are more difficult to play than a 35 inch scale bass.
  12. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Haven't found a shop in the NYC area yet that has a JO5 skyline in stock that we can tryout - the search continues.
  13. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I owned a JO skyline 5 and I felt it did not have the midrange clarity or "growl" that other basses I've owned recently, granted, more expensive, have had. (F bass BN5, Studio, and now Mike Lull MV5). I don't imagine the Metro 5 to be an issue this way even though I feel that the 24 fret one might be....based on owning a 24f in the past.

If you have the right amp, speakers, and technique, I think the JO 5 is worth looking at, especially if you have financial limitations. If you have a little more freedom financially, there's some REALLY nice Sadowsky Metro 5's available on his site and at several of the Metro dealer chain. Just my experience, the Korean basses I've owned, be them Lakland or G&L's L 2500 tribute, are not as nice as their American counterparts, where it seems like the Metro's are as "good a quality as the originals."

I personally need more mids than a passive J bass puts out, be it an original or an import but it's my personal hangup!!

14. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Thanks Larry - the budget can stand the cost of a metro , the nyc it can't take - I do want the ability to dial in that growl or that vintage jbass sound . I will have to find a shop that has a JO5 or even a DJones to play .
  15. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I wanted to dig this thread back up because pending the sale of my Jaco, I wanted to pick up a new bass, and I'm torn between the Joe Osbourne Skyline (with maple neck) or Sadowsky Metro like this one:

I'm guessing the JO will have a more traditional tone while the Sadowsky will have more of a modern sound to it? I want both! But I just quit my job so I need to get only one (although technically I shouldn't be getting either :p)
  16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Oh man. I had Sadowsky Metro M256 bookmarked on my computer for a while too! Ash/Maple Tobacco. That's Rich! Classic elegance. Looks sooo rich! I'm betting it is incredible too. Skylines are cool too. If the JO5 had a J-Retro Active preamp, it would be a closer comparison. Personally, I think that Sadowsky has an amazing Vibe. Tough call. Looking forward to comparisons between those two from someone who has played both Sadowsky Vintage 5's versus Skylines.
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had no idea the Sads five strings were 34" scale length. Thought they were 35". my world is crushed. I was thinking about buying one and I currently suffer from the idea that all 34" 5 string basses have crappy or less than ideal B's. ( fender Deluxe MIA has a REAL crappy B, so........)
  18. if you bought the sad 5, without playing it first. you would be in for a shock

at 34" it goes toe-to-toe with any other basses with 35" scale basses.

dont be intimitated by the scale length..

personally im more comfortable on 35" than i am on 34"
    soo im looking at the Daryl Jones 5'er Skyline with J-Retro.. there something to bring into this 'lil contest!