1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metro PCS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Apr 17, 2010.

1. I was wondering if anyone has this cell phone service.

How do you like it?

Is it any better or worse than your old carrier?

I've had Verizon for almost six years, but I hate the way they nickel and dime you on text messages. I mainly just use my phone for short calls, and their $40 plan with unlimited talk & texting is very tempting.

http://www.metropcs.com/

Anyone?

Mike

2. My dad just recently switched from T-Mobile to PCS's unlimited plan like a month ago. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear very good things. He says the service is reliable (no dropped calls so far, clear audio) and everything seems to work just fine.
    From what I can tell, their phones are somewhat cheap (don't expect anything fancy in terms of keyboards and touch-screens etc), but for your purposes it seems like that doesn't matter.
    Based on my second-hand experience, I'd say go for it. One thing is for damn sure, you can't beat $40 for unlimited talk/text,

3. I've used Metro for years, the main downside is that their coverage area is limited (you can see what areas get service on maps on their website), but it has expanded a LOT over the past few years and will continue to do so. Another issue is that customer service can be spotty. It really depends on the store you go to, you can find helpful employees at one, and useless staff who don't want to do anything for a customer at another. Upsides are no contracts required, and a bill that is just about the same every month (it'll be a little more than $40 with taxes and fees) for unlimited service. No worrying about minutes or long distance or amount of texts etc. (which are all arbitrary numbers anyway, the other carriers have a great racket going!)

My biggest issue is that they text me with the amount of my bill + the due date, and sometimes I forget that amount and delete the text, and then when I go to pay my bill online I have no idea how much I am supposed to pay, and so I have to try and call them and get the right person on the phone to help me just to tell me what my damn bill amount is! I try to lock those texts now when I get them.

Oh yeah, if you don't pay your bill on the due date, your service will be shut off the next day. But once you pay it, service comes back on in just a little while.

4. Oh wow I just checked their web page and now they include taxes and fees in the rate for every plan, so it IS the same exact easy-to-remember amount every month! Excellent!!!

5. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Metro is good. It's what I had in Sacramento. The only flaw is the limited service area, but it should have expanded some by now.

The phone you buy should be unlocked (but don't take my word for it,) so if you don't like it you can take it to another carrier. Also, don't ask the salesperson about that, it's a good way to get lied to if the answer isn't the one you want. Call their customer service if you can. Maybe if it's not too much trouble, call more than once over the course of a few days and talk to different people.

Edit: Service area has expanded A LOT in five years. It used to just be in three or four cities in three states. If they continue to expand at this rate they'll be national in 6 or 7 more years.

6. chondro776

chondro776

Mar 6, 2008
    I've been using Metro for years. No issues, except that the bill is not always the same and even though I have a 'taxes included' plan I never pay exactly $50, usually $54.xx or something.... I don't know why, don't really care. It is still the best deal around.

Also, I just picked up a new phone for $80 that has a full qwerty keyboard.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
  8. My last bill was exactly $50... wasn't sure why, but it was my first bill after buying a new phone to replace my old dead one.., And I chose to forgo insurance this time (it's not work the extra cost)... Maybe I got reset to the new taxes-included billing when they processed the transaction at the MetroPCS store.

Oh yeah, one thing I don't like about MetroPCS is their lack of decent Nokia phones. They used to have a couple a few years ago, but in recent years they have either not carried Nokia, or they just have a REALLY low-end crappy Nokia. So I'm using a Samsung Messenger II now, and it's OK I guess.

9. First of all, I want to thank everyone who replied, and added their story. ;)

The main drawback of Metro PCS seems to be their coverage area, but since I don't travel much, this isn't really a deal breaker for me. If their coverage area is constantly growing, so much the better.

Two friends of mine emphatically told me, "Don't get Metro PCS; their service stinks!"

Both of these friends just happen to work for Verizon. :D

Another friend of mine bought a phone at Walmart. The phone was about $60, and he adds money to its account every month or so, and he said it costs him about $300 per year to run the phone. I might look into this too.

If anyone has any more stories, please add them here.

Thanks again.

Mike :)

10. My bill this month is $50 again. I am glad this nice even-numbered billing has kicked in!!!