Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metro thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Does anyone else besides me have a Chevy/Geo Metro? I got mine because of gas prices, and I couldn't be happier! 45 mpg, and it's a 4-cyl, so I can run my A/C without having to get out and push it!

Very maneuverable, I can start with my wheels an inch from the curb on my street, and turn it completely around in a circle without getting closer than a foot from the other side of my admittedly narrow street. It's a stick, and if I give it a moderate amount of gas and dump the clutch, it'll smoke the tires. If I time my shift just right, I can do it in 2nd as well...four throbbing cylinders of power, delivering 79 angry horsepower to the pavement! LOL.

It's surprisingly comfortable, too- during Rita evacuation, I had to spend 11 hours in it going 39 miles to get to I-10... ! Got an awesome 6.4 mpg during that debacle, running the A/C most of the time. Many people from my neighborhood ran out of gas in their larger cars before they got to I-10, some were on fumes when they finally found gas. My neighbor averaged 1.116 mpg on that trip in his F-150! I filled up yesterday after driving to work and back all week, it took 6.11 when the pump stopped, then I topped it up and came away with a grand total of 6.43 gallons. $17.29 to fill it up after a week, driving 288 miles (slow week)...

After much twisting and heaving, pushing and shoving, scraping knuckles and swearing, I have figured out how to get my rig into it. Mine's a four-door LSi. In the Camry, I could shove my cab in the back seat, but in this one, the rear wheel well gets in the way. I have found that by putting my Avatar 212 in top end first, with the passenger seat back all the way, and reclined, then turning the top of the cab and lifting the top edge over the seat/back junction, I can slide it towards the back until the casters clear my dash and then swing the bottom of the cab in. It's a bit of a squeeze, but I can make it easily enough. Thank God I don't use an Ampeg 810 cab!

The car had 69k and a little bit when I bought it, and it's in really good shape. I changed the oil, put in Royal Purple 5w20 (Torco, my personal fave, is not easily found around here), changed the plugs from the original AC Delco to NGK Iridium IX's, topped off the radiator coolant, the R-134a, and it's good to go. If I run my A/C, it gets 32mpg in town, 35-36 hwy; no A/C yields 40-43 in town and 45-46 hwy at 65mph! Beats my Jeep Grand Cherokee's 14.7 mpg!!! I drive about 450 miles in a week, so I did the math, and at $2.89/gal, I am saving $250.24 a month. Even at $2.59, I save $213.52 a month! I love my little '99 Metro!

2. Yep, I drive a blue S/T Chevy Metro. It's an ongoing source of humor for me and my friends... We stuffed 6 people in it one time. I can fit my bass gear or even my drums in the back.

Needs a brake job soon...

*edit* Bah, yours is a 4 cylinder? 3 cyl is where it's at. I tried to peel out once, but the whole rest of the drive home, there was this wobbling feeling throughout the vehicle. It turned out I had blown one of the cables clean off the sparkplug. :smug:

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I was going to get the 3-cyl, but I like my A/C in the summertime. My brother had the 3, it was a good car at sea level, but he moved to the mountains, and he had to get out and help push it up the hills. Also, his mpg dropped from 48 to 26 when he used his A/C. Mine only goes from 45 to 35 when I run mine. :)

Seeing as how there are this many Metro owners on the boards, I guess I should rename this the "Metro MegaThread", huh? ;)

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Haha, yes! My bretheren!

I have a '96 Geo Metro, red. The hatchback version. The thing's been through hell. It has so many miles on it, but it just keeps going.

The owners manual says I'm supposed to get 57 MPG, but I doubt it's that much anymore. It's a 3 cylinder, my dad's a big motorcycle enthusiast, and he said the engine is basically just a Suzuki motorcycle engine jammed into a car.

Anyway, who cares if it's notoriously unsafe. It's cheap!

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Well, there's 3 of us...think we can take the rest of 'em? ;)

6. Yes. You can have all the Metros you want. :)

Mike

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Myself and three other friends once picked up a Metro.